Hello,

what do you think about a stratocaster with
  • Warhead headstock
  • walnut neck
  • bocote fretboard
  • swamp ash body
  • walnut top
  • azurite malachite dot inlays
  • Seymour Duncan Hotrail in bridge, standard strat single coils in middle and neck
  • golden hardware
  • Kahler tremolo
  • black pickguard
So I'm sure about the hardware and the body. But I'm unsure about the woods, which are in my mind. Especially the bocote fretboard. I love the looks of bocote, but I'm I don't know, how it will feel to play on it.

Has someone experience and can say his/her thoughts about my plan?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-12 194504.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-12 194504.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-01-12 194511.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-12 194511.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 19
Sounds interesting.

Also sounds like you need to consider clashing wood grains, as you'll have 3 very different types.
4 if you consider that neck and body wood often have different grains.

Last edited:
Love every part that plan. Especially since all the wood is from North America.

Also sounds like you need to consider clashing wood grains, as you'll have 3 very different types.
4 if you consider that neck and body woof often have different grains.

This would also be my consideration - the different grains and colour tones could work, but also have a good chance of not quite working aesthetically.

4 if you consider that neck and body woof often have different grains.
You think so? I thought it would'nt matter so much, because of the different looking wood on the fretboard, which covers the walnut neck. From behind I can only see the neck and body made of swamp ash.
Sounds nice to me! Bocote should feel fairly similar to rosewood.
Since I'm used to rosewood anyway, it's perfect!
Love every part that plan. Especially since all the wood is from North America.
That's funny, because I'm living in Germany, haha!
Sure about the swimming pool?

Other than that, it looks great.
It is not a good idea? Maybe I want to change the pick-ups someday... so it looks to me as the best choice.

Sure about the swimming pool?

Other than that, it looks great.

FYI, I just finished editing up a new video that is a swimming pool rout shootout. Same body, first routed S/S/S, then universal.

I'll probably be making it live in the next few weeks.

I won't tell you the results now, but I will say that there are at least a few high-end builder who use the swimming pool as their default rout. Don Grosh, e.g.

FYI, I just finished editing up a new video that is a swimming pool rout shootout. Same body, first routed S/S/S, then universal.

I won't tell you the results now, but I will say that there are at least a few high-end builder who use the swimming pool as their default rout. Don Grosh, e.g.

Now that'll be an interesting one for sure. I was always under the impression that swimming pool routes add flexibility but decrease stability of tone and complexity. No clue where this impression is coming from but it always seemed like the common opinion to me.

Now that'll be an interesting one for sure. I was always under the impression that swimming pool routes add flexibility but decrease stability of tone and complexity. No clue where this impression is coming from but it always seemed like the common opinion to me.
IMO it only became unpopular because Fender started using it to simplify production /cut costs; that's always seen as a negative by most (lurking on forums), and surely removing wood means removing tone :D.

It's a bit like Lace Sensors were described as sounding 'plasticky' just because they had plastic covers, naturally...

Or just like Eric Clapton's 24k gold leaf Strat from the 90s sounded more 'metallic' than a solid paint one, even though the only difference is that the body was effectively fully shielded.

Personally, I just like the internet for the comic relief it provides every single day.

Only thing that matters is what  you think about it. Personally, I would make the neck & middle pickups Dimarzio Area series. There is nothing wrong with the "swimming pool" route. I find it funny that chambering for weight reduction is popular, yet a "swimming pool" route is considered tabboo by guitar snobs.

Last edited:
Only thing that matters is what  you think about it. Personally, I would make the neck & middle pickups Dimarzio Area series. There is nothing wrong with the "swimming pool" route. I find it funny that chambering for weight reduction is popular, yet a "swimming pool" route is considered tabboo by guitar snobs.
Thank you for your opinion! Yeah, the humankind is a funny species on this planet :)

Actually… LP snobs hate chambering and would rather have a 11lbs boat anchor, but us Warmoth users mostly love it.

Last edited:

Interesting. The thing I didn’t like about the swimming pool is that when I tapped the pickguard it resonated like a drum and it could flex a little. It felt cheap on an MIA Fender. I like the little bit of wood on the HSH.

I noticed that Tyler does a modified version, an H for the bridge then a pool for the neck and middle. Kind of interesting.

Ok ok ok I'll never mention again that swimming pool routes suck. I might try one on my next build actually.

Buuut, I actually just remembered... The person who first told me to not get a swimming pool route for tone reasons was a Warmoth customer service rep who helped me tremendously with my first build 🙈

I am not partial to them as they look wrong to me. Tone is subjective though. There are many ways to attach pickups and they all have supporters and detractors (pickguard, direct mount,floating, different routes) everyone is wrong and everyone is right.

I am not partial to them as they look wrong to me. Tone is subjective though. There are many ways to attach pickups and they all have supporters and detractors (pickguard, direct mount,floating, different routes) everyone is wrong and everyone is right.
How can they look wrong when they are covered by a pickguard?

Back