What do you guys reckon to this body/neck combo?

djf67

Not the actual body or neck I'm considering, but the combination of VIP and hockeystick. Not seen this combo and kinda like the look but I've not seen a VIP in the flesh, though; would a hockeystick look wrong?

vip_kws_rot.jpg

vip_kws.jpg

Back in '87 I bought a Washburn RS8V.  It was a Washburn take on the PRS thing with a few differences.  It had a pointy hocky stick headstock and a floyd rose.  At the time, the only thing I didnt like was the headstock.  I was a teen and couldnt afford a PRS that I was lusting after.  Without fail, every other player I knew commented on how it looked wrong.  Eventually I let the guitar go in favor of a Washburn Les Paul copy.

I don't miss the Washburn PRS copy.  I still don't like the combination of the body and headstock.

It's not really for me.  But the important thing is if you like it.  That is the beauty of Warmoth.

DocNrock said:
It's not really for me.  But the important thing is if you like it.  That is the beauty of Warmoth.

Hmmm. Yes, I do but I note Vol knob's point re:hankering after the real deal. I guess I need to decide 'do I want a PRS copy or my own thing?'
Trouble with Warmoth is, if I was having money-no-object I'd easily spend $1k on body and $1k on neck; the showcase eyecandy is tantalising. But I can't justify that.

i definitely dig it.  both the body and the head have wide curves, so it seems to flow pretty nicely.  i.e. an explorer head would look too sharp to fit the body.  and i'm using the same technique of photoshop to find my likings :p  try p'shopping in some pickups and stain to see how you'll like the finished product.  try to make it look as close to real as possible.  it helps a ton.

djf67 said:
DocNrock said:

Hmmm. Yes, I do but I note Vol knob's point re:hankering after the real deal. I guess I need to decide 'do I want a PRS copy or my own thing?'
Trouble with Warmoth is, if I was having money-no-object I'd easily spend $1k on body and $1k on neck; the showcase eyecandy is tantalising. But I can't justify that.

Don't justify it, just do it!

...unless you're married.  Then that path leads only to thrown dishes and divorce.  :D

Back