What do you guys play?

DocNrock

Master Member
I'm kind of new here, so I hope this hasn't been covered in a buried thread elsewhere.  I'm wondering what genre of music you all primarily play.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=795734&content=music - - some stuff I recorded at the end of the summer in 07... (pre-Warmoth - -sorry guys hehehe ;) )

I was a metal head as a kid but kind of lost interested in that. I still like a heavy sound but but get bored playing heavy riffs. When I'm just noodling I guess I play more blues-y, since it's easy to do something that sounds good without a backing track (or thinking too much. ;) ). Especially now with my new LP that seems to only want me to play heavy blues-y or classic rock type stuff. I'm not really good enough to be a "shredder" but I guess since I don't have a band, when I go to record it's guitar based (not vocal based) so I get into doing harmonies and trying to do some flashy/cheesy solos with hopefully a little melody happening in there. I like experimenting with modes also to get different flavors happening. BTW, all those recordings were done in like 1 or 2 days very quickly just to get them done fast. I was doing an experiment where I tired to record something every couple of days. I did it for a few months to see if I could be creative, because I never really have been. So I would just make these tracks as quickly as possible and move on to the next idea. I'm proud of a lot of it, but I don't think it's the best I can do. I hope to start doing more recordings in the future and I plan to actually take some time doing it.

No particular type of music, but I'll try anything that isn't watered-down blooze with 12 minute guitar solos. I will say that my guitar "style" was once described as "sounds like Keith Richard's Dyslexic Bastard Son". I still don't know if I was being complimented or insulted.

Thrash folk, death blues, stoner country, lounge metal, doom polka, etc

GoDrex said:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=795734&content=music - - some stuff I recorded at the end of the summer in 07... (pre-Warmoth - -sorry guys hehehe ;) )

I listened to the first three.  I like it.  Reminds me of a Satch meets Vai sort of vibe.  Hot licks!

dbw said:
Thrash folk, death blues, stoner country, lounge metal, doom polka, etc

Look up Cross Canadian Ragweed and Reckless Kelly.  Stoner Country actually exists. :laughing7:

I'm usually on acoustic, and then it's often solo instrumental stuff, or folk and classical. On electric, I'll play anything that I think has a great guitar tone. Sometimes that's blues, sometimes classic rock, sometimes a little heavier, sometimes not.

My favorite style is definitely Metal. it's what I work on 80 percent of the time. The rest of the time i like to take time to play and learn blues, jazz fusion shred and classical and even folk.  :guitaristgif:

Where is the Hallowen song?  :icon_scratch:
I'm almost going to work, so listened only a part of the 1st song, quite like it!  :glasses9:

EDIT: After some time without playing I'm taking classes and getting back... probably will be on the stage for the 1st time on august... I used to be metal head, but I'm tired of... Now I believe I'll go to a rock, blues and perhaps pop stuff

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll,  I like to listen to many, many, many, kinds of music, and I think that it all filters into what I like to play.  My old band was pretty intense, many would call it hardcore, there was a lot of screaming and the guitars would always be ear-bleedingly loud, but I like to think there were some hooks in there.  That band was very much about the live show, with a singer who would literally climb the walls and ride me and the bass player around.  My current band is a smidge less on the edge of chaos, but we still count The Stooges, the MC5, Blue Cheer, and of course Alice Cooper  as pretty huge influences.  When I am at home practicing I try to play everything under the sun, it makes me a better player.  If I pick up an acoustic you can be sure that I will be finger picking some rural blues.

Started out playing metal back in the day....was in an a couple of alternative bands, a classic rock band w/horns, a couple of acoustic duos, played in countless open blues jams, and am now in a rap/funk/hip-hop/alternative band.  And I'm currently taking flamenco lessons.  Guess you could say I play stuff all over the board.  :icon_smile:

Back