what could be wrong?

GoDrex

Senior member
Messages
3,619
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130311159745&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&salenotsupported

he says right in his ad that he's put nearly a grand into it - and he's letting it go for $450 - with free shipping. I was sort of tempted to get it since I want a guitar with a Floyd (yes Doug that's right) and the plan I had is adding up to be like $1200+ and I have the tuners and pickups and other little parts already. The thing is I hate doing any kind of finishing, though I did have a basswood guitar that was unfinished for like 20 years with no problem.

I asked the guy why he's taking a hit and why he's not parting it out and he said:

I could, but I would rather just sell it whole and let someone else part it out.

and

Just trying to put a little extra money into the household. Guitar plays great and has no issues. Besides, it's the story of my eBay selling life..."Buy high, sell low" LOL!!!

those answers don't make sense to me.
 

JaySwear

Senior member
Messages
3,006
it sounds like all of my experiences. i bought my peavey wolfgang at $800, had to sell at $700. bought my ibanez RGA121 at $650, had to sell at $400... it's tough to get what you payed out of something, i always just kind of accept that there will be a hit

and maybe he just figured with the tough economy? hard to say. i'd say go for it though, thats a guitar for the price of a good neck, right?
 

big bob

Senior member
Messages
864
I'm not getting how that all adds up to a grand.. a poplar body goes for what 200.00/ 150.00  a kramer neck 200.00/160.00  and the rest ...! how do we get to a grand..

I think he's close to what he's got in it ... 
 

blue313

Senior member
Messages
2,824
Honestly its a fair price all things considered.  Bridge, tuners, pickups and electrical parts are about $400ish if they were brand new.  Another 200-300 for the body and neck (possible clearance prices), both of which could use work.

Maybe a project guitar was more hassle than he was willing to deal with, or his wife found out about his "secret project".  :dontknow:
 

GoDrex

Senior member
Messages
3,619
I added all parts and options and came to $810 - not including shipping. He did say parts and labor.
 

DocNrock

Senior member
Messages
4,295
GoDrex said:
I added all parts and options and came to $810 - not including shipping. He did say parts and labor.

Take a walk on the wild side.  :icon_biggrin:
 

stubhead

Senior member
Messages
4,669
Well the strings don't fall off the neck on either side, and they do go over the pickup polepieces - this is always an indication that the guy has some kind of an eye for detail (better than Fender's, hee hee hee :binkybaby:)
On the other hand, he sprung for Schaller LOCKING tuners - on a neck with a Floyd locking nut - this is an indication of something-or-other, but I'm not sure what. Caution? :eek:
 

JaySwear

Senior member
Messages
3,006
i would probably go for locking tuners too, to be honest. just makes string changes so much easier. and with a floyd string changes can be enough of a pain, in my opinion  :-\

i still say go for it! i'd love to, if i had any money at all
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,456
JaySwear said:
it sounds like all of my experiences. i bought my peavey wolfgang at $800, had to sell at $700. bought my ibanez RGA121 at $650, had to sell at $400... it's tough to get what you payed out of something, i always just kind of accept that there will be a hit

and maybe he just figured with the tough economy? hard to say. i'd say go for it though, thats a guitar for the price of a good neck, right?
You're not buying the right guitars, I bought a EB EVH sig in '95 (last year produced) for $1500 and sold it in 2005 for $3600. You just have to know what to buy... :icon_biggrin:
 

JaySwear

Senior member
Messages
3,006
DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:
it sounds like all of my experiences. i bought my peavey wolfgang at $800, had to sell at $700. bought my ibanez RGA121 at $650, had to sell at $400... it's tough to get what you payed out of something, i always just kind of accept that there will be a hit

and maybe he just figured with the tough economy? hard to say. i'd say go for it though, thats a guitar for the price of a good neck, right?
You're not buying the right guitars, I bought a EB EVH sig in '95 (last year produced) for $1500 and sold it in 2005 for $3600. You just have to know what to buy... :icon_biggrin:

haha very true. i really wish i could have kept the wolfgang, but i just wasn't a fan of the wolfgang's neck... i would have loved to keep it around as an investment, they should be pretty rare in perfect condition in 10 years, but if i don't play it...  :sad:  that, and i'm way too impatient haha i want something new all the time, and really don't have the money to justify it. so warmoth project meant the wolfgang had to go

and weirdly enough the guy who bought it let me keep the pickups, so i figure i can use those another time if i want. i loved the neck pickup... the bridge was some old dimarzio with no serial number  :icon_scratch:
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,456
JaySwear said:
DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:
it sounds like all of my experiences. i bought my peavey wolfgang at $800, had to sell at $700. bought my ibanez RGA121 at $650, had to sell at $400... it's tough to get what you payed out of something, i always just kind of accept that there will be a hit

and maybe he just figured with the tough economy? hard to say. i'd say go for it though, thats a guitar for the price of a good neck, right?
You're not buying the right guitars, I bought a EB EVH sig in '95 (last year produced) for $1500 and sold it in 2005 for $3600. You just have to know what to buy... :icon_biggrin:

haha very true. i really wish i could have kept the wolfgang, but i just wasn't a fan of the wolfgang's neck... i would have loved to keep it around as an investment, they should be pretty rare in perfect condition in 10 years, but if i don't play it...  :sad:  that, and i'm way too impatient haha i want something new all the time, and really don't have the money to justify it. so warmoth project meant the wolfgang had to go

and weirdly enough the guy who bought it let me keep the pickups, so i figure i can use those another time if i want. i loved the neck pickup... the bridge was some old dimarzio with no serial number  :icon_scratch:
I regret selling it looking back, but it was too much of a profit to turn down. Otherwise I would have never sold it.... :sad1:
 
Top