what binding over turquoise flake?

mayfly

Epic Member
ok.  Just speaking hypothetically here.

Supposing there was a friend of yours.  Maybe she's a friend of a friend.  Or something.  Anyway, she wants a bound turquoise flake telecaster.  The only problem:  what colour should the binding be?

Options are:
White
Black
Cream
Ivoryoid
Pearloid
Tortoise

I think we can safely rule out Tortoise.  And maybe white.  Buuuuuut of the remaining colours, what should it be?

Well what’s the back/sides of the guitar color? Without knowing and mocking one up, I’d check out pearloid and black.  Maybe ivoryoid and cream.

The closest I have to a flake guitar is a sparkle blue Duesenberg.  Sides are black and back is a semi translucent blue over flame.  Cream binding on that works well.

Hey pal*, when I say turquoise flake telecaster, I mean turquoise flake telecaster.  The whole thing will be turquoise flake.  Double bound as well. 

Because, double bound is cool.

* out east, they would say "Well Skipper..."

I'd want maple, however I'm guessing we're talking within the warmoth options.

So ivoroid.

I lean toward white, it's what Fender used. But Fender clear coats used to yellow it to cream. All in all, a multi ply would look best.

To me turquoise comes from two color palettes.  One from the ocean, and the other from the sky.  Since you don't have greens (or blues) to chose from, ocean colors are out.  Hence, white or pearloid.  As to which one between the two, depends on the amount of desired bling.  The hardware would be chrome.

Love that photo! Wolff!

rick2 said:
To me turquoise comes from two color palettes.  One from the ocean, and the other from the sky.  Since you don't have greens (or blues) to chose from, ocean colors are out.  Hence, white or pearloid.  As to which one between the two, depends on the amount of desired bling.  The hardware would be chrome.

This is an interesting take on it - the level of desired bling that is.  Perhaps peraloid is the way to go here...

With flake?...always gloss. It won't shimmer right through satin. Satin has solids called "flatteners" in it to to create the texture and they will diffuse (or even block) light on its way to the flake and back. Satin also deadens the "chatoyance" effect of figured tops and necks.

I used sparkles on my jazzcaster build with a gloss finish.  Definitely gloss.

Gloss finish.

Either white or pearloid. White would look classy. Pearloid would look more regal. Depends on the amount of bling you want with all that sparkle.

Gloss, no doubt there.

Question, pickguard or no? If so, color thoughts?

I ask as binding “binds” (excuse the pun) the colors of body, fretboard, guard and hardware.

TBurst Std said:
Gloss, no doubt there.

Question, pickguard or no? If so, color thoughts?

I ask as binding “binds” (excuse the pun) the colors of body, fretboard, guard and hardware.

Pickguard for sure!!  the only question is - what will it be? 

but you know if the binding is peraloid, surely the pickguard must be as well...

Back