Well my neck arrived....slight issues?

Loobs

My neck arrived and it's a lovely piece, but I paid to have it lacquered 'satin nitro' and to my mind it looks totally naked. It feels and looks like totally unfinished maple, is this how it should look? I have emailed Warmoth about it but it just doesn't seem right to me. I'll also be pretty annoyed if i've paid $65 to have it finished and it hasn't been. What is also strange is that they quote 5-6 weeks or so until necks needing finish are shipped but mine arrived (to the UK) in under two weeks!

Also, it's the 'fatback' profile but doesn't feel that fat to me at all. It's definitely way fatter than the standard thin but doesn't feel as big as I thought it would. Maybe that's because it has no strings on it?

It is quite common for satin to look like there is no finish. For this reason we apply a round sticky dot on the heal of each neck that gets a finish. Removing this dot will reveal the raw wood underneath to show there is a finish applied.

Satin finishes are also very quick to shoot and cure. They take half the time or less than gloss. We wait for a batch of necks that require the same finish before we shoot so this does speed things along if your neck was included with a batch already waiting.

Measure your neck to confirm it matches the specs published on our neck contours page to verify you received a fatback. Yes, with strings on you should notice the neck feels fatter.

Thanks.

Loobs said:
Also, it's the 'fatback' profile but doesn't feel that fat to me at all. It's definitely way fatter than the standard thin but doesn't feel as big as I thought it would. Maybe that's because it has no strings on it?

I never felt like my SRV neck was any bigger than a normal neck even after i put the strings on... until i played on a normal neck and realized how puny they feel.

Hi,
I have a Suhr Classic with satin maple neck.
It seems not finished but it is.
This is the essence of a very good "satin finish" (IMO of course).

Well I just checked the heel and there is indeed a sticker on it and a very 'slight' difference between the finished and unfinished, but as long as there's some protection on there it should be fine. I guess it'll wear off pretty quick huh?

Here's another thread.  It mainly has to do with Vintage Satin neck wear, but seeing the Vintage Tint wear off, you can see it does wear.  The most important thing to consider, the satin finish does not stay satin with use.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11439.15

the fatback for me, is one of the best neckbacks. to make it feel even more huge, ask for the 1 3/4 nut. boy that thing ROCKS! me like! anyway... nothing else to add I suppose :D

I deliberately had the 1 5/8th nut to not make it feel too huge. I think I'm gonna like it fine. It feels perfect, we'll see how it is with strings on.

Here's where we are so far:

005.jpg

I have everything else but the pickups. Putting Lindy Fralin Blues Specials in it. It's gonna rockkk.

Loobs said:
Well I just checked the heel and there is indeed a sticker on it and a very 'slight' difference between the finished and unfinished, but as long as there's some protection on there it should be fine. I guess it'll wear off pretty quick huh?

No it wont wear off quickly, but it will gloss up where your hand rubs it.  Also, on the fretboard of maple necks, the places you play will get shiny too.

I got the satin nitro on my latest neck as well, and on the headstock it still feels very natural wood-ish. The back of the neck and the fretboard have gotten very shiny from wear and tear and are starting to color just a bit. All things considered, I'm really glad I went with that finish.

Great looking Tele BTW Loobs.

MikeW said:
I got the satin nitro on my latest neck as well, and on the headstock it still feels very natural wood-ish. The back of the neck and the fretboard have gotten very shiny from wear and tear and are starting to color just a bit. All things considered, I'm really glad I went with that finish.

Great looking Tele BTW Loobs.
A little rubbin' with some #0000 steel wool will knock out the skinniness, and give it back that satin look.... :icon_biggrin:

Back