Weezer/Matt Sharp Warmoth Jazz build

line6man said:
This is a topic of MUCH debate on TalkBass, but personally, I have found the linear taper to work much smoother for volume pots, but only when you play clean.
As far as tone controls, stick with the audio taper, as a linear taper will behave more like a switch- doing nothing until you turn it way down, then suddenly "kicking in."

Aren't you thinking the other way around? Usually, you want an audio taper on the volume, and a linear on the tone. Otherwise, it'll do what you said - the volume will be nothing, then full on within a couple numbers.

500K is good, though. It is as you say - possible to dial things down if you need to, but you can't create frequencies or output levels that don't exist in the first place when you use too low a value.

Cagey said:
line6man said:
This is a topic of MUCH debate on TalkBass, but personally, I have found the linear taper to work much smoother for volume pots, but only when you play clean.
As far as tone controls, stick with the audio taper, as a linear taper will behave more like a switch- doing nothing until you turn it way down, then suddenly "kicking in."

Aren't you thinking the other way around? Usually, you want an audio taper on the volume, and a linear on the tone. Otherwise, it'll do what you said - the volume will be nothing, then full on within a couple numbers.

500K is good, though. It is as you say - possible to dial things down if you need to, but you can't create frequencies or output levels that don't exist in the first place when you use too low a value.

Nope, linear volumes and audio tones.
I used to think the other way around based on theory, but I've tried it both ways, and it works better this way.

umcoo said:
Line6 - That's helpful, thanks.  I've seen some stuff on TB and listened to some of the sound samples (I think it was that Dan Atkinson?), but I'm not hearing a whole load of difference.  I've got some spare 250 audio pots round here somewhere so I might try them and then get some 500k's and see for myself.

Did you hear the pot shootout that Maguana (I think that was his username?) posted?

Yes, the difference is rather subtle. People make way more fuss about pot values than they need to.

Yeah, that was the guy.  I read it just the other day, but had Dan Atkinson in my head for some reason.  As I say, I'll give the 500k's a go as I'm wanting a hotter, agressive sound. 

Finding a good selction of pots is tough in the UK  :-\

Not only so I need 500k, audio and linear tapers, but also split shaft for volume (for the strat knobs) and solid shaft for the tone.

umcoo said:
Yeah, that was the guy.  I read it just the other day, but had Dan Atkinson in my head for some reason.  As I say, I'll give the 500k's a go as I'm wanting a hotter, agressive sound. 

Finding a good selction of pots is tough in the UK  :-\

Not only so I need 500k, audio and linear tapers, but also split shaft for volume (for the strat knobs) and solid shaft for the tone.

Why do you need a solid shaft pot for the tone? Just use a split shaft.

Also, you can convert split shafts to solid with a brass sleeve.

Wanted solid shaft for the tone because that's how it is on Sharp's bass.  Lame, I know...but then I am building a Weezer bass.

Nice project! We have way too few bass projects here...  :icon_biggrin:

On the 250K vs. 500K debate:
In my Jazz Bass I also used 500K pots- even though SD has 250K pots in their wiring diagram- and the sound is great. And there's still the tone pot (as JaySwear said) to get rid of some highs ;-)
But I never do that. The bass sounds nicely warm and open.

Just ordered...

500K Linear Pot for Tone CTS Split Knurled Shaft X2
500K Audio Taper Pot CTS Solid Shaft

I'm assuming even though the Ebay description for the linear pot says 'for Tone', it can be used just as well for Volume?

umcoo said:
Just ordered...

500K Linear Pot for Tone CTS Split Knurled Shaft X2
500K Audio Taper Pot CTS Solid Shaft

I'm assuming even though the Ebay description for the linear pot says 'for Tone', it can be used just as well for Volume?

The applications a component is suitable for use in are determined by it's specs, and in this case, the specs are the same, aside from taper and shaft.
The shaft type/size is irrelevant to it's behavior in the circuit, and the taper only affects the resistance relative to the physical position of the wiper throughout the rotation.
You can use either pot for volume or for tone, or for just about any other application calling for that value, taper, wattage, etc.

Neck arrived today.  Birdseye maple with ebony board.  Beautiful.  I always impressed with Warmoth's work.

Picture009-2.jpg

Picture013-2.jpg

Picture012-3.jpg

Picture011-3.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

What an awesome project - I've lusted after Sharp's overdriven Orage sound for forever, and the Weezer gear archives Karl did were one of the things that steered me towards Warmoth back in the day.  Can't wait to see/hear it finished!

All done!  Picked it up from Jack Ellis at Jack's Instrument Services in Salford, Manchester this morning.  Great guy to work with, did all I asked and was helpful in guiding me with what needed doing.  And cheap too!

Anyways, here are the pics for everyone.  It's been a long time coming, but I finially did it!!

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture009-4.jpg

Picture003-5.jpg

Picture006-5.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture008-4.jpg

Great job!  You did fantastic recreating Matt's Bass.  It probably looks now like it did in the early touring days before it got extra scrapes & tape.

Thanks man, appreciate it.  All I have to do now is beat the crap out of it, and it should be looking about right in about...oohh...15 years!

Back