Warmoth's Vintage tint satin nitro finish

amigarobbo

I know this is the DIY Finishing, but it's got the word finish in the name, so I'm sticking it here.

:band:

Two questions,

1: It's not actually Nitro is it? I'm thinking about building a fretless bass with a maple fretboard fingerboard, a poly finish would probably stand up to the strings much better than a nitro.

2: I've heard discussed around her, that the level of tint has changed, is this the Orange old one:

D5N1171a.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Bass=1&Path=Spotlight&nFinish=144&i=D5N1171#.WLFnxxicai4

And this the new, more subdued hue?

BN7230a.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Bass=1&Path=Spotlight&nFinish=144&i=BN7230#.WLFn9Bicai4

You'd have to call them on the nitro thing. In the builder, it would seem you can order a nitro finish. But, if open the "help" screen in the builder, or if you check the neck finish details page, there's no mention of  nitro.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they're not shooting any nitro. It never has made any sense that of all the finish work they do, the only time they loaded their guns with nitro was for satin necks. Seems like quite a disruption for a production shop. Plus, I know they're using a much more durable satin finish these days than they did in the past, and whatever it is, it's definitely not nitro.

As for tinting, the lighter version is current. The orange drew a lotta uncomplimentary commentary.

Sorry to be contrary, but I've got several warmoth finished satin necks.  They're definitely not poly because the finish is pretty soft (I've polished them smooth over the years of playing).  If they aren't actually nitro then they are certainly close enough for rock and roll.

Not contrary. I wasn't sure. That's why I suggested calling them. But, also, things have changed in recent times as to their satin finishes. So, unless you bought those necks in the last 6 months or so, it's unlikely you have the finish they're applying today.

Alls I knows is they landed on a good color and I'd consider going tinted in the future.

The finish is nitro. Real, honest-to-goodness nitro. Nitro-burning funny-car nitro. The real McCoy.

The current Vintage Tint color is closer to the second image, and was adjusted after feedback from users. I own a neck with the current color on it, and to me it is perfect.

Hope that helps.

I highly recommend misting on a light coat of a very thin and light tobacco/smoke brown tinted nitro over the top of Warmoth's own tinted finish. The current tint still looks noticeably more on the Squier end of the tint scale, so to speak, and a quick mist of pale brown fixes that.

The Aaron said:
The finish is nitro. Real, honest-to-goodness nitro. Nitro-burning funny-car nitro. The real McCoy.

Don't they age differently Aaron, when a Warmoth body is polyurethane and neck is nitro?

Jay

Back