Warmoth WGD pics

jwl68th

Finished my WGD and couldn't be happier. Thanks to anyone who ever posted finishing and assembly tips !!
Here's the details.

Swamp ash body with swamp ash top
Water based filler with ground charcoal to pop the grain
Tung oil and satin poly topcoat

Warmoth Pro angled neck, Flame maple with rosewood fretboard side dots only
25 1/2" scale  12" radius  6130 frets  satin nitro finish

Schaller 475 hardtail bridge and straplocks
Gotoh tuners

Duncan Vintage Blues pickups
Oak Grigsby 3-way switch, Orange drop caps
1 vol-2 tone

I love this guitar and can't stress the value of this forum enough !!
I'm also including a pic of my Warmoth body Jerry Garcia inspired "Alligator Strat" I put together a couple of years ago.
Thanks again to everyone on the forum, Mark

i like it! a lot! i normally kind of despise gold hardware, but on that swamp ash it's super classy. awesome guitar!

have any back/side shots?

JaySwear said:
i normally kind of despise gold hardware...

You're not the first person who's said that. What is it about gold that puts people off?

Cagey said:
JaySwear said:
i normally kind of despise gold hardware...

You're not the first person who's said that. What is it about gold that puts people off?

haha thats a good question. maybe i don't hate gold as much as i thought. i've seen your neck and body with gold hardware and love that one too...

i still refuse to wear gold jewelry or watches at all though :icon_biggrin:

No, I generally wouldn't wear the stuff either, although I did wear a wedding ring for two marriages <grin>

But, for some finishes, it just makes sense. Colors toward the infrared end of the spectrum match up well with it because gold is a "warm" color, while colors toward the ultraviolet end match up better with chrome, which has a "cold" quality. Black reflects nothing so it matches up with anything, although on darker finishes it can be diminishing. That can be used to advantage, though. You don't always want your hardware to stand out, or perhaps want a striking contrast to it.

Thanks guys. I know what you're saying about the gold hardware, I had gold pickup covers on it until yesterday. It was just too much gold for my taste. Sounds awesome, plays great. I love the Warmoth necks !!  I'll post pics of the back when I get a chance.

[/quote]

Its funny, I usually don't like gold hardware, but I love gold painted guitars (like a LP goldtop).  Don't know why I make that distinction, but I do.

Oh yeah, and great looking WGD there.  Well done sir!

Figured I should post the specs for the Strat.

Showcase Swamp Ash body bought in 08' if I remember correctly
15 to 20 coats of Teak oil
Neck is off of a 90's Squier that I loved
Unidentified string thru hardtail bridge I scored on ebay
Fender Custom Shop 54 pickups/standard wiring
Brass hardware fashioned by myself out of brass kickplate from a door
Reproduction Alligator decal set from Jackofroses.com
Real nice playing Strat and my first introduction to the realm of Warmoth
Obviously this guitar's appeal leans toward Deadheads, but hey, that's me !

Gold hardware has a time and a place.  The turnoff for most is that it is overused or used on the wrong piece.  Too much of a good thing.  Looks good to me on this.

Back