Warmoth waterslides

War_in_D

Occurred to me the other day as I was clearing a headstock.. Why doesn't Warmoth offer waterslide logos for the headstock, instead of the stickers?  Or offer both, for those that want it?

Would make it a lot easier to hide the edges. 

War_in_D said:
Occurred to me the other day as I was clearing a headstock.. Why doesn't Warmoth offer waterslide logos for the headstock, instead of the stickers?  Or offer both, for those that want it?

Would make it a lot easier to hide the edges.
I thought I read somewhere that the licensing agreement they have with Fender specified that Warmoth could not put waterslide decals of any type on their necks, nor provide any type of waterslide decals to customers.  I'm guessing that since the licensing agreement was the result of settling a lawsuit, Fender likely pushed pretty hard for this.

Additionally, Warmoth has to protect its brand. They have no idea of the buyer's skills, and they're right to be concerned about having a third party see a bass with brush-on paint in globs and a couple of tuner screw holes drilled all the way thru the headstock. I remember that Martin used to (they still may, for all I know) used to sell acoustic guitar kits in different stages of completion, using the same quality materials as the Nazareth company, but they did not provide a decal of any kind. 

Warmoth font waterslides are available on eBay, if you find the right seller.

Mr Pinter did some a while back. Unauthorized but not secret

Auriaprottu said:
Additionally, Warmoth has to protect its brand. They have no idea of the buyer's skills, and they're right to be concerned about having a third party see a bass with brush-on paint in globs and a couple of tuner screw holes drilled all the way thru the headstock. I remember that Martin used to (they still may, for all I know) used to sell acoustic guitar kits in different stages of completion, using the same quality materials as the Nazareth company, but they did not provide a decal of any kind. 

That explanation doesn't add up. Warmoth does send a "sticky back" headstock decal with every neck, I think the OP just wants to know why offer a waterslide option as well?

Warmoth offers the die-cut metal logo stickers, and ships a free vinyl decal.  So keeping the name off the product (?) for whatever reason is not at the heart of it.  My guess is it's a demand vs. cost-to-implement thing.  Maybe the waterslides are perishable?  Maybe too fragile to want to bother with complaints?  I'm sure if The Aaron were to dig into it he could give us the rationale, but as a general operating principle, Warmoth seems real big on "if it costs more to add it to the product line than we can make on it, we won't likely bother, especially when we have other fish to fry, like keeping up with demand for what we already DO offer, for 'zample."

DuckBaloo said:
That explanation doesn't add up. Warmoth does send a "sticky back" headstock decal with every neck, I think the OP just wants to know why offer a waterslide option as well?

I think it does add up, tho I realize not everyone agrees. Anyone can peel backing off an adhesive and slap it onto a finished headstock, but you won't find too many luthiers who choose to do it this way. To me, it's the difference between a "Warmoth parts bass" and a "Warmoth bass". One is a post-purchase addition, while the other appears to have been given the same attention as those that come from a true shop.

I did use a sticker once when I put a Warmoth neck on a Geddy body, but when I'm using all Warmoth tonewood, I use the waterslide, properly buried beneath coats of nitro and smooth on top. And if I alter the shape of the headstock, or cut a shape from a blank paddle, I design and print a non-Warmoth waterslide and do the same. Whatever I choose to do isn't easily removeable. 

IMO, IME, YMMV, etc.

I think it’s much cooler not to have the name of a company on my headstock, or any where else on anything I own.

DuckBaloo said:
Auriaprottu said:

yo its only a headstock sticker if you put it on that, lol. It's just a sticker, bro. You can put it on your car bumper. like me.  :glasses9:

Back