Warmoth Strat

Hi all, John from Warmoth Sales here, sharing a build I finished a couple of months ago.  Here's the rundown:

3 piece Alder body with Black Flake paint
Wenge neck with Jet Black Ebony fretboard, SS frets, no face dots, Ebony peghead veneer, Reverse Warhead headstock, and Sperzel tuners
Pickups are all DiMarzio, with a Mo' Joe in the bridge and Virtual Vintage noiseless single coils in middle and neck
Warmoth Black Pearl pickguard
Wilkinson trem and LSR Roller Nut

3378420526_e418f52888.jpg

Some background on the paint:  from what I know, there are only 2 bodies with this paint.  The paint guys were experimenting with a Black Flake finish.  One of the bodies wound up on the Showcase, which I bought, and the other went on a prototype guitar body that wound up in the hands of another employee.  So, finish-wise, it's pretty unique.  The metal flake is very subtle, not over the top like some of the ones you see on the W website that they are holding in sunlight.  The neck is crazy resonant; this thing sustains forever and has great tone.  It'll do classic rock, fusion, or metal - take your pick.  Clean and pretty she ain't.

You know, I've never liked the warhead headstock, but as a reverse.... gotta say... that's pretty damn cool.

Very cool guitar btw.  The jet black ebony, no dots and black theme are killer!

wow, we're definitely going to see many more pictures of that one.  how do you like the sound of the wenge/ebony and alder combo?  i'm about to build a strat with the same woods.

The tone of that combo is very immediate - fast attack, and nice sustain.  I think that 80% of the tone is in the neck, so the Alder body has a minimal contribution.  We do goofy stuff with the necks at Warmoth, like holding them gently at the nut and tapping the back of the heel to see how long they resonate.  I can tell from our doing this that the unfinished, exotic wood necks ring longer than the plain vanilla (maple) ones with a finish.  That's why most of the guys who work there have exotic necks on their guitars.  This particular guitar, because of pickup selection, has a strong midrange presence, which DiMarzio pickups are known for.  I'm still fine-tuning the circuit on it, though.  More on that later!

John, you HAVE TO MAKE THEM do black flake as a regular paint job. That looks awesome ! I've looked at the flake options quite a few times, but most of them are way too over the top and I think I'd get a bit tired of it soon, but this one is AWESOME ! Talk to them !!!

Actually, I was thinking about that same wood combination for my next build.  Glad it worked out so well.

Back