Warmoth Strat Pickguards

Neo Fender

How well does their screw pattern match up with OEM Fender screw hole patterns or pickguards?  (yes I know there are 8 screw guards, 11 screw guards, etc.).

Thanks

It's tough to say. Fender seems to follow the '70s automotive creed of "hammer to fit, paint to match" so replacement parts from companies like Warmoth are often closer to spec than the originals. I know Warmoth's 'guards must be made from templates at least, because I've got a stack of them here and they all line up with each other perfectly. Whether they'd fit an original Fender that's already been drilled I can't answer.

Not to worry, though. If you have a hole or two that won't line up, just invest .25¢ in a box of toothpicks, poke 'em into the existing hole with a dab of stupor glue, then carefully cut off the tops with the edge of chisel or something. Re-drill a new hole and call it a love story.

They're the same as if you were to buy a brand-new Fender one, which are obviously cut from templates these days (well, CNC maybe) too.

And the same as if you buy one from eBay or whatever, too, as long as it says it'll fit USA/Mexican Fenders.

I recently ordered an 11-screw Strat pickguard to go on my Squier Affinity Strat (MII). All the holes were close or right on. One was off a half a diameter and another was off that much and off at an angle from the factory anyway. The Squier screws were a bit large for a pickguard. Rather than re-do the countersunk holes in the nicely done Warmoth pickguard, I ordered a bag of ±20 Fender screws and just re-did the holes.

I started with a box of toothpicks and some wood glue, Titebond II I think. I took three toothpicks at a time and dipped the tips in glue and pushed them into the holes all together. I tapped them in gently but firmly with a small flat-faced hammer. Then I cut them off with a small flush-cut wire cutter. Once cut, I gently tapped them smooth with a flat punch, taking care to not mark the surface of the finish. That completely filled the holes and gave me a smooth surface to start from.

Next I put the pickguard on and used a thin awl to start a nicely centered hole and drove the screws in with a screwdriver. With those skinny little screws, I didn't need to drill a pilot hole. In fact, I did this while the toothpicks were still wet with the glue.

The pickguard went on much better than expected and even if the holes had been completely off, the same process would have been fine.

Jumble Jumble said:
They're the same as if you were to buy a brand-new Fender one, which are obviously cut from templates these days (well, CNC maybe) too.

And the same as if you buy one from eBay or whatever, too, as long as it says it'll fit USA/Mexican Fenders.

This. Just redid an older Mexican Strat pickguard for a friend of a friend and the new W pickguard fit with no problems. The only issue I had on the replacement was the second hole along the bottom was drilled a it askew so the screw never fit correctly, but that's a problem with the original hole, not with the placement of the hole on the pickguard.

Back