Warmoth neck with pre-installed Tusq nut???

brando555

Hopefully someone can answer this, if not I guess I'll just contact them, but anyway. I've been wanting to order a new replacement neck for an old strat of mine.

I want to get 6100 SS frets, and I see there's an option to have a Tusq nut pre-installed. I'm curious if the nut is tall enough to clear the massive 6100 frets though.

This question popped into my head because I have a Mighty Might strat neck with 6100 frets and I upgraded the nut to Tusq XL, normally they require sanding them down to height, but with the height of the jumbo frets it was too short, and to get proper 1st fret clearance I had to shim it about .2mm higher.

Just curious how this works, if they just rough it out and assume you'll file the slots to the correct height or they try to get it close to playable condition out of the box.  :guitarplayer2:

They deliberately cut the nut slots shallow so the strings will clear the frets. While we're at it, you should know the frets aren't leveled or dressed. The fretboard is freshly milled, so the frets go in fairly level, but they're not perfect. Also, they don't know the end user's preferred fret end dress, so they bevel them and leave them at that. This isn't unique to Warmoth; as with all new necks, it's up to the end user to get the neck set up.

All that said, it's still good enough as delivered that some folks install and play them right out of the box. But, if you want ideal, you have work to do. If you aren't able to that or don't have a favorite local tech, you can ask around here. For example, I know a guy who knows a guy... :laughing7:

Cagey said:
They deliberately cut the nut slots shallow so the strings will clear the frets. While we're at it, you should know the frets aren't leveled or dressed. The fretboard is freshly milled, so the frets go in fairly level, but they're not perfect. Also, they don't know the end user's preferred fret end dress, so they bevel them and leave them at that. This isn't unique to Warmoth; as with all new necks, it's up to the end user to get the neck set up.

All that said, it's still good enough as delivered that some folks install and play them right out of the box. But, if you want ideal, you have work to do. If you aren't able to that or don't have a favorite local tech, you can ask around here. For example, I know a guy who knows a guy... :laughing7:
I know a guy... :toothy12:

Everyone wants the glory, but not the work. YES, you'll need to have all the pieces assembled and setup the way you want for best performance. There ain't no easy way to happiness.

Ok thanks.

I even ended up finding on their site:"We have built a system for precision cutting and shaping, done by a bench-top CNC mill. The result is a nearly perfect nut, compensated for fret height, nut width, string spacing, and fretboard radius"

So that's cool... Anyway should be here in a few weeks.

I was planning on dropping it into an old MIM strat. But I've been milling over the idea of just getting a nice loaded body off Stratosphere and and going all out. It's only money, and you can't take it with you.  :toothy12:

Now my other dillemma is how to finish it. I once did a Mighty Might neck with Tru Oil, and it turned out pretty good. Looks and plays really nice, but it was really time consuming and it does take a while to cure into a nice hard protective finish.

What else is out there that has a nice fast and slick feel too it? It would be cool if I could get a finish similar to the Charvel Pro Mod necks.

You might want to consider using roasted Maple. It'll burnish up slicker than greased glass, and it doesn't require any finish at all. Sounds like regular Maple, so no compromise there. It's become one of my favorite neck woods. One of those with big stainless frets is a joy to play.

Plus 10 on the roast maple it burnishes so well. It feels so slick it’s almost hard to hold.

PfCbVQ6.jpg

Back