Warmoth neck + mexi strat body... a waste?

adamj

I had always planned one of these days to order a nice wenge + indian rosewood neck from warmoth and bolt it onto a mexi strat body I've had kicking around. But then I had second thoughts. Obviously the neck is going to be excellent quality but I don't think we can say the same about the mexi body. Would it be kind of wasting the neck? I know wood doesn't have THAT huge of a role in the sound overall but even still...

I know of several people who can afford any guitar they want, but use Mexican Fenders on the road. I'm talking about people with major record deals and American and European roads. 'Cheap' guitars are a highly relative term. You can still find junk guitars in the world, but Mexican Fenders are pretty good guitars, especially for the price. I had Warmoth necks on two MIM bodies and no one ever knew the difference.

If you can only afford a neck, go ahead and get it. Later on, you can score a Showcase body that you know will fit the neck, or just leave it as is.

Just remember; if the neck and body don't quite fit, modify the BODY, not the neck!

I don't think it is a waste at all.  If you are only comparing the body of an American Strat with the MIM Strat,
I don't think there is really that much difference.  I am sure the hardware and electronics are a bit better on the American, but those are easily changed also. 

I have a Robert Cray MIM and put on a Warmoth neck with Schaller Locking Tuners and it plays just fine.  Sounds great and since it is a hardtail it stays in tune forever. 

MIM fenders are decent and made of alder, nothing wrong with them. For that money you can do a lot worse. I have a MIM / Warmoth myself. Go for it. The main thing is just get the neck, nut, frets, and setup really great so it plays like a dream, and the body really has little effect on that.

tfarny said:
MIM fenders are decent and made of alder, nothing wrong with them. For that money you can do a lot worse. I have a MIM / Warmoth myself. Go for it. The main thing is just get the neck, nut, frets, and setup really great so it plays like a dream, and the body really has little effect on that.

well, they certainly arent Warmoth quality. I think the bodies are like 5 and even 6 pieces slathered with with all that goopy poly and tons of filler.
Lot of people don't really care what they play out on the road or how it sounds. I would definitly try out the 2 and 1/16th spacing, cause along with the 1.6 nut its incredibly narrow- I just hate it. All hardware must be trashed..its junk.
Sure theMIM's c an sound okay , if all you want is something that will quack like a duck with Fender American Strat hyper eq'd pickups- its a great tone, but it aint the way a nice old vintage Start sounds. For that you need a real nice guitar like Warmoth and some great pickups.

Is there a difference? you bet!
Flame away.
( I do have a nice Start w/ JV body( regular spacing ) that I  had reliced and removed alot of the Poly, neck, and changed out everything to quality parts and its a very good guitar, but not as good as my Warmoths.

The interview didn't specify. It was his guitar tech, Ish, talking. Maybe it's a wanting to support the mexican economy thing?

either way he sounds good with a mexican body and a higher quality neck, fender american in his case.

whitebison66 said:
I know of several people who can afford any guitar they want, but use Mexican Fenders on the road. I'm talking about people with major record deals and American and European roads. 'Cheap' guitars are a highly relative term. You can still find junk guitars in the world, but Mexican Fenders are pretty good guitars, especially for the price. I had Warmoth necks on two MIM bodies and no one ever knew the difference.

If you can only afford a neck, go ahead and get it. Later on, you can score a Showcase body that you know will fit the neck, or just leave it as is.

Just remember; if the neck and body don't quite fit, modify the BODY, not the neck!

White..."BI" ..Son. 
I get it...  :laughing7:

jerryjg said:
well, they certainly arent Warmoth quality. I think the bodies are like 5 and even 6 pieces slathered with with all that goopy poly and tons of filler.

Fender American Standard is that too.... Saw one (pic) made of 8 parts... Also tech friend of me was trying to make a black strat become sunburst and it had a really big filling made of "mass" to cover a hole or something, american standar too...

Back