Warmoth LP owners

mullyman

I'm just wondering what you guys think of the Warmoth Les Paul type guitars having a bolt on neck as opposed to Gibson with the neck thru. Is there really any huge difference? I'm considering an LP build but this one point has me wondering.
MULLY

Damn, man, oddly enough this conversation is happening right now in another thread. I should have searched it first. My bad. Disregard this one as I've pretty much made my decision..............to go forward with my build. I need an LP with a maple fingerboard.
MULLY

Can't find the other thread you're talking about.  But heres 2 points I'll send your way.

1. Contoured heel = best high fret access in a LP style guitar of any kind I"ve played with the exception of a Dean EVO (even the soltero doesn't compare, custom shop or otherwise)
2. Solid join and best resonance I've ever *FELT* in a guitar.  yes you can feel it. when you get yours, just strum the strings open and put your hand on the headstock.

I like strumming it with my ear up to the back.  Those chambers resonate nicely.  Then again, I'm a little odd so it's probably best to just not pay attention to me.

In all seriousness, I love my Warmoth LP.  I sold two Gibsons to build it which would probably send the boys over on the Les Paul Forums into a psychotic rage, but I wanted to pick out everything. 

Volitions Advocate said:
Can't find the other thread you're talking about.  But heres 2 points I'll send your way.

1. Contoured heel = best high fret access in a LP style guitar of any kind I"ve played with the exception of a Dean EVO (even the soltero doesn't compare, custom shop or otherwise)
2. Solid join and best resonance I've ever *FELT* in a guitar.  yes you can feel it. when you get yours, just strum the strings open and put your hand on the headstock.

Gibson finally woke up and decided to make an LP with a contoured heel.  It's called the Les Paul Axcess.  It only took them 57 years to figure out that it might be a good idea to give players some decent fret access.  The 2008 Standard has a Wolfgang-ish neck now too, which I think might also be on the Axcess.  You can build a much nicer version of the same thing at Warmoth for $2000 less than what you would have to pay for a Gibson though. 

This type of thing is why I have love/hate feelings for Gibson. 

I just looked that up.  Even though I'm playing a bolt on LP, a LP with a tummy cut and floyd rose just seems wrong somehow.

Lucky #007 said:
I just looked that up.  Even though I'm playing a bolt on LP, a LP with a tummy cut and floyd rose just seems wrong somehow.
If you're me, you're hoping for chambered body as well and a fast unfinished neck and excellent pickups. That would be my DREAM guitar. Don't start on body woods and finishes.

Gibson Les Pauls are set neck, not neck through. My WLP is my favorite Warmoth, it's very close to the real thing even if it's a hollow body with 25.5 scale and bolt on neck. The neck heel is way more useful than a Gibson LP. As in other W's a great setup will make a great guitar, mine plays like butter :rock-on:

gotta chime in here. my first build was a warmoth LP and i've never looked back. have ordered my 2nd build which should be arriving in the mail pretty soon. after my tech was done with putting it together, he was blown away by the balance, tone and feel. am sure you won't regret an ounce of it. have a blast!

My warmoth LP is my favorite warmoth and my favorite guitar ever. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5195.0

Yeah my Warmoth LP is awesome.  (See pic at the left.)  I have zero complaints.  I was a little skeptical at first, too, just because a bolt on Paul is weird, but it is absolutely worth it!

Thanks, guys. I'm glad Volitions mentioned the contoured heel. I wasn't even thinking about that and that was the one thing about my LP Custom that I really wasn't fond of. The chambered body also sounds interesting. This will be cool. I'm probably looking around summer though as I just put my Strat together and I have a 5150 Kramer on order. If I start another build right now I think my wife will have my danglers on a spit.
MULLY

I wont tell you how good a warmoth les paul is. others did it for me. warmoth makes great stuff, their les pauls included. I love the neck, I love the way warmoth fretted their necks, I love the woods, I love the finish-quality, I HATE the lack of options (the ones I want, that is...). most notably: multiply bound body!

I've built two Warmoth LPs.  One for me and one for my son.  The one for my son is almost identical to my Gibson LP (The only difference being Lt  vs Rt handed and the neck on his is ofcourse bolt on)  Other then that they are identical right down to the pickups.  Both sound identical. 

The one I built for myself is may favorite guitar, although it was almost surpassed by my Warmoth Tele.

Bill

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
If you're me, you're hoping for chambered body as well and a fast unfinished neck and excellent pickups. That would be my DREAM guitar. Don't start on body woods and finishes.

The body is chambered, and not very popular.

So, Super Turbo, what is it about the chambered body you don't like? Everyone has different tastes so an opposing view on this would be welcome to help me make a decision.
MULLY
the imagination of what a chambered body would sound like intrigues me

Volitions Advocate said:

Here's the thread I found. Looks to have been started on the 7th. So again, I sincerely apologize for starting this up again, but appreciate all the talk that it got.  :headbang:
MULLY

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6276.0

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:

Horah, i'll see if they will stock it anywhere near where I am and i'll try it out. Certainly not going to buy it though, waaaaaaaay tooo much! :laughing7:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:

I like the chambering on my Warmoths and have no experience with the chambered Gibsons.  I was speaking of everything I've read of the new Gibson's.  Everything I've heard about the new neck profile on the Standard and the chambering has been horrible.  It was a reply to Wana's_Makin' that his ideal Gibson would be chambered, which they are.

Back