Warmoth Bass?

NonsenseTele said:
Listen to Skuttle Funk! The man know the things...

And just to strenghteh what he said I got a Purpleheart blank to make a bass neck... I'm 6 feet tall and 290lb and I got scarred when I got the blank on hands... Woods characteristcs vary on each blank/tree... perhaps I got a very heavy purpleheart, but this one feels heavier than Mahogany and not a "little more"...

Eric (warmoth employer, bass player) told us it makes a very piano-alike tone... As you're going to play punk/hardcore I don't think this is the tonal quality you would want from a bass...

Welcome to the forum...
A guitar/bass from Warmoth (just woods) can come from $400- to $2000+, plus hardware, pickups, etc... Just depends on what you want and can pay...

oh
alright, thanks

well, hmm what type of neck would you personally recommend?

That's quite a fair amount of ellipses you have going on there man

tfcreative said:
bobbylikesbikes said:
oh, and just out of curiosity, how much did all of your builds cost?
just as a reference

Mine was about a grand, but I it's fairly simple. Alder/Quilt Maple Body, Goncalo/Wenge neck (incredible neck combo, FYI), and I finished myself with a rubbed dye and oil/wax. The only real splurge was the electronics; I got ahold of the guts that would have gone into a Dingwall Afterburner, including their custom rotary switch. Their FD-3 pickups are great, but that stuff accounts for about a third of the cost.

My next build will likely be a Gecko 5 and will cost more as I'll do a little more fancy stuff on that one. There is (or at least was) a flame redwood top in the selections that would really kill with a Ziricote board, but it would make for one pricey bass.

hah well they both sound great!
The flamed redwood sounds great, I've liked the look of flamed redwood ever since I saw it on the MM Stingray
Looks amaza-zing

One grand isn't too bad

dudesweet157 said:
Hey Bobby,
I just totaled up the cost of the parts for the build you outlined, and it came in at $1200ish give or take a few, and that's for stock options (Seymour Duncans, multi-piece body, regular weight, MOTR hardware, etc.).  You can spend more or less if you scope out the Showcase, or if you want top of the line everything.

FWIW, my Strat build came out at just under $1300 for the parts.  I spend about another $300 in new parts (I fried the electronics the first time) and to have it assembled by a pro (I failed miserably).  On the other hand, I built my VIP for about $650 with used parts, unfinished woods, and it sounds and plays just as good as the strat.  Upcharge in price is all about the eye candy.

-Rose

Oh wow that's great!
I'll remember that
Yeah if I were to get the MM pickups I was going to use Seymour Duncans
And probably not a one piece body, so yeah you pretty much nailed that

Wow 1300 for parts!
What was the bank breaker?
I mean I'd imagine pickups, but a set of really nice pups is like 200$, or atleast from my knowledge anyway

bobbylikesbikes said:
oh
alright, thanks

well, hmm what type of neck would you personally recommend?

That's quite a fair amount of ellipses you have going on there man

I'm not that experienced played many kinds, but by what people here told about their builds, I think it would be more Wenge or Rosewood... My idea about that woods is: more "beefy" tone... But I'm no bass player and few experienced...

bobbylikesbikes said:
Yeah if I were to get the MM pickups I was going to use Seymour Duncans
There are some Duncan pups I have played and really disliked, or at least would recommend something over it. This isn't the case with MM pickups - I freaking LOVE the sound from mine.
When you to play a musicman again, remember that it is probably active, which changes the sound quite a bit unless you go for an active bass as well.

My bass cost me around 1600, IIRC. Alder body, spalt top, canarywood neck with macassar ebony fretboard, custom fralin (he didn't make the style I wanted then and did one up for me), a duncan MM, badass 2 bridge and schaller tuners.

SkuttleFunk said:
p.s.  :sign13: - I'd also  suggest totally ditching the idea of a Purpleheart (or other obnoxously heavy) neck wood unless you also plan to properly add the cost for Ultralight tuners and a complimentingly heavy body core wood.

I want to slightly ammend my post here to note that I held an ultralight Purpleheart J-bass neck at W this past Friday. this neck is definitely an oddity in that it weighed only slightly more than a maple/rosewood neck that would be consider heavy for its woods. I still wouldn't recommend a Purpleheart neck, but at least I can say from experience that it is remotely possible to find one that doesn't weigh more than a full-on ebony neck

all the best,

R

bobbylikesbikes said:
oh, and just out of curiosity, how much did all of your builds cost?
just as a reference

The Warmoth side of my build was under a grand with another 2 to 3 hundred for hardware and pickups.  All in all 12 to 13 hundred.  About the same as an American Standard, but with options Fender couldn't do for that price.  To me it was a bargain, because for $1300, where else could anyone buy that bass?  Nowhere.

Find out what Warmoth does first of all.  The first bass you described keeps changing as I read the posts culminating in wondering if Warmoth does neck-thru.

A friend of mine was impressed and curious about my Warmoth.  He is interested in having one built, but his idea keeps changing, wants things they don't do, doesn't really know what they do, and doesn't want to pay for it.  To him, it's just wood and paint and they're all the same.

Get serious about it.  I get the impression you're young and just found out about Warmoth recently, which is fine.  Most of us thought long and hard about our choices.  They weren't snap judgements or whims.  A Warmoth build requires an attention span.

Back