warmoth bass guitar pickup routing.

TheBeed

new to this forum so wasnt sure were to post this but off topic seemed the best place.
right so  at warmoth does anyone know if they do such a thing as having a jazz pick up at the neck, with a music man placed where it usually is placed.
or does this seem not like a good pick up configuration? i am not too sure, ive always liked the sound of the music man basses but want to make my own bass with one included.
so far i use a fender precision bass, belive its one of the mexican made ones along with a epiphone thunderbird.
any ideas if they do, or any better configurations, or if just using music man pick up would be better would be appriciated.. thanks  :eek:ccasion14:

Routing for a J in the neck and MM is no problem.  Check out the pickup routing options under bass bodies for more options.

they definitely do this

a P/MM has the potential to cause you issues, but a J/MM is simple for them to do (and usually hasn't had an associated upcharge IME)

R

ok cool thanks the replies that sounds good, now, does anyone know if that sort of pick up combination would sound good?
ive played music man basses and jazz pick up basses seperatly but never one with both in, and any suggestions on what a good set of tone/ volume would be for that configuration?
As in the usual 2 volume one tone, or go a bit more advanced to get more options?
im not that new at playing bass, new at building one, this would be my first project.
So help from people that already have seems a good place to go,
so many thanks for the replies already, keep em coming :)  :eek:ccasion14:

this one sounds pretty good to my ears

b13711c0.jpg

it's getting a new neck next year to replace the W P-bass neck it now has. something about playing a P neck on a J body is just wrong  :icon_tongue:

all the best,

R

that looks amazing, but what are all the switches and everything for? both my current basses only use a volume and tone with switcher, or two volumes and a tone,
just looking to get to know what electronics it would work best with before i go ahead buying any, be that in a month, or longer, but yeah it wud have a music man and jazz pick up same places u have, as both seem good for my style of music i play  :eek:ccasion14:

TheBeed said:
ok cool thanks the replies that sounds good, now, does anyone know if that sort of pick up combination would sound good?

Sound is a preference and is like arguing a favorite color.  Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'd look at what is already widely accepted out there (not that the masses always know best).  Anywho, the J-Bass "Growl," as it is referred to, is mainly the bridge pickup with the tone rolled slightly off.  And when J-Bass pickups are mated with others, it's usually the neck pickup that hits the road in favor of a P-Bass pickup.  From that, I would conclude that the J-Bass bridge pickup would be the one to keep.  However, the MM pickup introduces a new variable.  Skuttle Funk's creation looks right up your alley.  Pick his brain about the specifics.

this bass utilizes a U-Retro Deluxe preamp with the following switches

1) pre-amp on/bypass
2) a U-Retro passive 'blend' control

it's a nice pre-amp with Bass + Treble + sweebable Mids. learn more here: http://www.east-uk.com/

the third switch closest to the bridge is a 3-way coil tap switch for the MM pickup

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
this bass utilizes a U-Retro Deluxe preamp with the following switches

1) pre-amp on/bypass
2) a U-Retro passive 'blend' control
so do you just use the u retro linked up  to the two pick ups? and how does the 3 way coil tap switch fit in? and like were did  you get it,
im new to the whole making a bass right now, so any places with wiring schematics for this kind of set up?

U-Retro preamp = http://bestbassgear.com/u-retro-preamp-deluxe.htm

depending on your pickup choice, you may actually prefer the neutrality (not to mention price) of an Aguilar OBP-1. after many trials of various preamp brands and models, this became my standard preamp option on all my basses.

Aguilar OBP-1 = http://bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp1-preamp.htm

for the MM pickup wiring it's a simple chain: MM pickup -> 3-way toggle -> input on blend pot

most of the MM pickups come with a wiring color chart to assist in knowing which wire goes where when coil tapping. if all you have on your MM pickup is two leads, you won't be able to tap that pickup without modifications you probably don't want to tackle at this point

all the best,

R

ok cool and wiring the jazz neck pickup should be straight foward onto the wiring set? so to speak .... new at this soooo :help: lol

yes, the J pickup hot lead connects to the other input terminal on the blend pot

which pickup to which blend pot terminal you ask, well it all depends on whether you believe Sadowsky has it right or backwards  :laughing8:

all the best,

R

ok cheers  :eek:ccasion14: should be able to work out wiring diagram from all the help, when using the music man and jazz wiring diagrams along side the pre amp one, does the grounding featured in the pick up diagrams stay the same?

Back