Warmoth and scalloping logic?

Deep Purple in Rock

Why doesn't Warmoth offer scalloped fretboards on the vintage construction type of neck?
Only the modern gets that option, I was wondering why.

Also, on a similar tangent.
When you look at the CBS vintage choices, you can't choose the right spacing holes for the vintage F-series Schaller tuners (as discussed in another thread of mine) like Musikraft does, F-series Schaller tuners are "the vintage tuners" of CBS headstocks.
Why do they limit themselves when it comes to broadening the array of options?
I bet they have some reasoning behind it all, I can't figure out why myself.

The main reason on options etc will be simply supply and demand and the viability for Warmoth to offer those options or not. It is a business choice and I doubt Warmoth misses out or is too worried about something that might only be asked for once in ten years if at all.

Very few people even know or be able to tell you there is a spacing difference for F-Series tuners.

The modern has more options than the other necks and it may be that for stability reasons that this is the reason for not offering scallops on a vintage construction. But Warmoth would need to speak to that.

Agreed, it's a business decision.  If you really care, you should call warmoth directly.  Maybe they'll do it for you as an off menu item.

For the very reason discussed in one of your other threads, side position markers. It's the first bullet on their Scallop page.

• Scallops are done on new construction necks only, so that the side dots can be repositioned to accommodate them.
An occasional complaint with DC Customs was them scalloping through fret markers. That's not really a problem with DC, but with the neck supplied.

Warmoth vintage-spec options are limited, mostly offered just to appease the customers who want something more period-accurate, they don't seem too interested in expanded. That's not really Warmoth's core business, their flagship is their modern construction necks that are designed to allow more programmable variables (IIRC, Warmoth's scalloping is part of the CNC process).

Just as an option, YJM necks from stripped Fenders do pop up for ~$550 if you want the exact spec.

They might be able to do the do the scalloping if you call them. They probably wont do the alternate tuner spacing.

bruzanhd said:
They might be able to do the do the scalloping if you call them. They probably wont do the alternate tuner spacing.

Warmoth offer scalloping on Modern construction necks only. It is done by a machine not a man with a file.

stratamania said:
bruzanhd said:

Warmoth offer scalloping on Modern construction necks only. It is done by a machine not a man with a file.

Uh yeah. I’m quite sure this is fairly obvious. I would think it goes without saying. Maybe they’d entertain the idea of doing a non refundable scalloped neck like the OP wants. Worth calling them up and asking as opposed to just speculating on this site.

bruzanhd said:
stratamania said:
bruzanhd said:

Uh yeah. I’m quite sure this is fairly obvious. I would think it goes without saying. Maybe they’d entertain the idea of doing a non refundable scalloped neck like the OP wants. Worth calling them up and asking as opposed to just speculating on this site.

There has already been one Warmoth employee who has participated in one of the threads about this that the OP has opened discussing this. It is not speculation and is also clearly published here.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-scalloping

The jig also uses the plug on the end of the neck to mount, which is where the Vintage Neck's truss rod adjustment goes.
The Modern construction necks use a 1/4" fingerboard slab too, which gives more material to work from.

This jig was made in house, many many years ago only for the 25.5 scale" necks.  Unless demand warrants moving this rare-order option into CNC, it's doubtful that further developments warrant the many test necks and time away from production to bring this option to market.

When I worked there, I had loads of people from the Sevenstring forum hounding me about 7 string options, and scallops, and emotionally, I'm sure I could support their argument, but you have to look at this from a business perspective.

Economics = supply/demand.   
The bulk of the demand for Warmoth products are the bread & butter Fender style bodies & necks with your basic custom options.  That's what they are going to supply because that is their primary revenue stream.
Infrequent order options like 7 string and scallops, while some of us (myself included) love these options, the orders for them are so far and few between that further development of them is not cost effective.
During the year that I worked there, I had 1 order for a Seven String body/neck, and maybe 2 or 3 scallop or half scallop orders.  That's one year, only one rep.  Not likely multiplied by the 5 reps working there at the building housing the world's largest inventory of replacement bodies/necks and pickups.

Ask the Aaron.  For every body or neck that goes to market, upwards of 5-10 were test built that can never be sold (opportunity cost) as well as the time they spend on the CNC machine interrupting production of the product that has a quick turnover to produce revenue.  Compound that with an already low profit margin industry, and the demand for payroll, compensation insurance and health insurance, and then you might be able to fully appreciate Warmoth's perspective on this as a business, and not just a company satisfying a creative or emotional muse.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
The jig also uses the plug on the end of the neck to mount, which is where the Vintage Neck's truss rod adjustment goes.
The Modern construction necks use a 1/4" fingerboard slab too, which gives more material to work from.

This jig was made in house, many many years ago only for the 25.5 scale" necks.  Unless demand warrants moving this rare-order option into CNC, it's doubtful that further developments warrant the many test necks and time away from production to bring this option to market.

When I worked there, I had loads of people from the Sevenstring forum hounding me about 7 string options, and scallops, and emotionally, I'm sure I could support their argument, but you have to look at this from a business perspective.

Economics = supply/demand.   
The bulk of the demand for Warmoth products are the bread & butter Fender style bodies & necks with your basic custom options.  That's what they are going to supply because that is their primary revenue stream.
Infrequent order options like 7 string and scallops, while some of us (myself included) love these options, the orders for them are so far and few between that further development of them is not cost effective.
During the year that I worked there, I had 1 order for a Seven String body/neck, and maybe 2 or 3 scallop or half scallop orders.  That's one year, only one rep.  Not likely multiplied by the 5 reps working there at the building housing the world's largest inventory of replacement bodies/necks and pickups.

Ask the Aaron.  For every body or neck that goes to market, upwards of 5-10 were test built that can never be sold (opportunity cost) as well as the time they spend on the CNC machine interrupting production of the product that has a quick turnover to produce revenue.  Compound that with an already low profit margin industry, and the demand for payroll, compensation insurance and health insurance, and then you might be able to fully appreciate Warmoth's perspective on this as a business, and not just a company satisfying a creative or emotional muse.

Very well said.

Deep Purple in Rock said:
Why doesn't Warmoth offer scalloped fretboards on the vintage construction type of neck?
Only the modern gets that option, I was wondering why.

There are many things that can only be ordered on Modern construction necks, including scallops, binding, 24 fret overhang, Floyd nuts, etc.

The reason is because it's the only construction that accommodates them. In the case of the first three, they are possible on Modern necks because the fretboard is thicker. In the case of the Floyd nut, it's because the truss rod lies flat in the channel (as opposed to curving up at the nut end), which allows the shelf to be cut without breaking through and exposing the truss rod channel.

We craft our offering based on what makes money.

There is a near-infinite number of bridges, tuners, and hardware that could be considered. Every single one requires R&D to make sure it works on not just one product, but across all our products, and to make sure it is universally compatible with every other option we offer. Adding even one bridge rout or tuner rout is a massive effort.

Take the NFT Floyd rout, for example. It was popular again for a hot minute a couple years ago. Everyone and their dog yelled at us to do the rout. They all opined about how simple it would be.....that it was exactly the same as the regular recessed Floyd rout, just a bit shorter. They were wrong. We proved they were wrong by giving it a try, and having a bunch of bodies returned to us when the owners found the rout was not compatible when they tried to mount the bridge. We went back and forth with a bunch of early adopters, trying to make it right, etc, etc, etc. It was a huge pain, to be honest. The amount of money and time we dumped into it didn't even come close to ending up in the black.

And then just like that, the NFT Floyd wasn't that popular again, and no one cared.

The Aaron said:
And then just like that, the NFT Floyd wasn't that popular again, and no one cared.

We care Aaron, I still have one of the original bodies and a second NFT that I need to get into another body at some point. Alas it seems to not have turned out to be as popular with more people.

You mean I'm never going to get that B-Bender route???

(but think of how simple it would be!  :))

The Aaron said:

It's rare that an opportunity to mash up two memes comes around, so when it does, one has to take advantage.

noone.jpg

Back