Walnut Strat finished....

jackthehack

Epic Member
Neck: Sorry, used a Musikraft, can't get a hard symmetical V neck profile like an old '57 hard V from Warmoth yet (HINT, Gregg... :dontknow:)  in lightly flamed maple (hard to see in pix) with a graphite nut & Wilkinson Kluson style tuners, shot with Fender Neck Amber and just 2 coats of nitro so it'll "relic" naturally

Body: Warmoth Walnut body, "big hunk of steel" Wilkinson bridge, black hardware, black aluminum pickguard and Gibson speed knobs, finished in Watco Danish Oil.

Electronics: Neck/middle pickups - hand-overwound "greybottom" staggered Alnico magnets with 42g Formvar pulling 7.2K/8.0K, and a Seymour Duncan "Lil '59" in the bridge position, experimented and used all 500K CTS pots and a .1 capacitor.

The neck has that definite late 50's hard V feel, not for everyone, but I like it. The combination of the walnut body and heavy block vintage style bridge add a lot of "deep" sustain, more pronounced in the lows/mids with the neck/mid pickup, sounds a lot like an old 60's walnut SG when you kick it to the bridge "lil '59" pickup.

wstrrat.jpg

wstratback.jpg

Nice guitar! What neck thickness are you getting at the 1st and 12th fret with that neck?

It's a symmetrical hard V,  .94 at both the 1st and 12th frets, 1 5/8" nut, 9.5" radius, allegedly a direct copy of the original '57 hard V; your "Clapton" V profile contour is more like the later, "soft" V that was released in '59 - I think - that was asymmetrical, i.e., tapering down to the first fret.

I don't know if you'd have a big enough market to warrant reprogramming your CNC gear, if you're a Strat player you either REALLY like this neck, or don't like it at all....

Back