vtpcnk's thinline questions

Soylent

Please feel free to post all your questions here and myself and others will do our best to answer them for you.

Thanks,
Luke

ooops!  you beat me to it!  Now we have two thread's for vtpcnks thinline questions!!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

mayfly said:
ooops!  you beat me to it!  Now we have two thread's for vtpcnks thinline questions!!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

We already had like nine o_O

the reason i started multiple threads was because :

1. i didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

2. all the questions do not come together - they take time to develop.

3. and having started a thread on one particular issue under a specific subject line, i found it illogical to post a different issue under it.

4. also we have multiple categories in this forum itself right? so specific questions relating to that category might better appear in such sub-forums - for future reference by other people.

5. also even if my questions relate particularly to thinlines, it could have relevance for other builds too (eg : spruce as a top or the tone of korina or suitable body wood for a pau ferro fretboard etc) - so others not interested in thinlines might not be turned off by the subject. also specific subject lines will invaribaly catch the eye of those interested in the subject.

so ...

but anyway now i know you guys preference. next time i have the heat about a particular model, i will open its own thread.

Actually I'm with vtpcnk on this, different questions belong in different threads.  That way I can ignore ones I'm not interested in without ignoring the build altogether

Anyway you should hurry up and build it!  Enough talk, I want to see pics :)

is putting strap buttons in a thinline a tricky job considering that the body is hollow etc?

would the wood crack?

any precautions to be taken?

well you'd want to drill guide holes and be very careful.. can anyone with a thinline chime in?

I didn't pilot holes in my thinline strat. I just attacked the strap buttons with a big screwdriver and extreme prejudice. Worked fine, but I am an advocate of percussive guitar building!

Drilled the normal pilot holes as you would on a guitar that isn't hollowed-chambered; trick is NOT to use a power screwdriver or a lot of force installing the screws for  the strap buttons

Wil said:
I didn't pilot holes in my thinline strat. I just attacked the strap buttons with a big screwdriver and extreme prejudice. Worked fine, but I am an advocate of percussive guitar building!
Just be forewarned.  You're wedging a decent chunk of metal into wood grain.  Think of it like splitting logs for firewood.  Some of the time the axe will stick in the wood, other times the wood splits along the grain.

A proper sized pilot hole eliminates that possibility by removing enough wood for the screw's shank.  The only thing that should cut is the threads.

Back