Voodoo finish

bagman67

Epic Member
Howdy, y'all -

I'm a noob, but gearing up for a first build.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion about how to achieve this two-color finish on swamp ash:

2574450261_18ae4c4a1d_o.jpg

Your assistance is much appreciated.  I read these boards and am in awe of the knowledge so generously shared.

Thanks

Ian

I'm going to guess black stain, sanded back, then red tint spray.
Grainfill could be black or clear.

Not an easy first finish, but not the hardest either.

Black grainfill... black dye.. sanded back... dark red transparent over it all.

And fwiw, the Gibson Voodoo finish was black dye with red grain filler rubbed in on top of the dye.  There were no open red spaces.  It was black, with red deep grain... and a matte clear

=CB= said:
And fwiw, the Gibson Voodoo finish was black dye with red grain filler rubbed in on top of the dye.  There were no open red spaces.  It was black, with red deep grain... and a matte clear

Thanks to you all who have responded so far.

CB - In your estimation, would the Gibson Voodoo finish be easier to achieve than what is pictured above in my initial post?

Grazie -

IGB

They're really different finishes... the Gibby one was very coarse.  If you've seen it, you'll know it was the stuff they did the BFG with... just like "tar" on the body.  I'd go for the sexy black steaks under transparent red.

I bet W would do that for you.  Its not unlike what they do already for say... Bengal, except no burst, just red transparent.  It wouldn't be out of their palette.

That is nice.  I like it...
Be sure to post pics if you go this route. 
Welcome to the forum, good luck &  :rock-on:

I would say.
1. Black Dye
2. Sand Back
3. Red Dye.
4. Wash coats of sealer.
5. Black Grain Filler.
6. Gloss clear.

I can see it working either way CB, or Tonar described.  But, it really depends on the grain filler you use.  The stuff from Stew Mac requires quite a bit of sanding, so the red dye would be after the grainfill.  Tonar uses mystical stuff that requires years of experience to find the source.  Well maybe not, but the Stew Mac stuff does require a lot of sanding.
Patrick

Tonar8353 said:
I would say.
1. Black Dye
2. Sand Back
3. Red Dye.
4. Wash coats of sealer.
5. Black Grain Filler.
6. Gloss clear.

Tonar does this for a living, I'd take his word for it.

Either CB's or Tonar's suggestions will work. If following CB's advice, Mohawk Dark Red Mahogany toner looks awfully close to the picture above, see a Thinline I did below with it.

The REAL trick to replicate what's in the picture you posted above is to find a body/lam top (might need to go the Unique Choice route) with wide graining like what's pictured and having the patience to properly fill that grain....

tburst1.jpg

Well, I'll do it the old-fashioned way - I'll get hold of some scrap lumber, and try my hand at it before I decide  whether to throw it over Tonar's fence.  I feel pretty confident in my staining and grain-fill sanding skills - and at 43, I now believe that short cuts rarely get you there faster.  But I'll most likely engage a pro for the final lacquer coating.

Thank you all for your insights and opinions, and of course once I get started, I promise to share pics and to come clean about the errors I will inevitably commit.

Peace, love, flower power, and various other hippie sentiments....

bagman

jackthehack said:
Either CB's or Tonar's suggestions will work. If following CB's advice, Mohawk Dark Red Mahogany toner looks awfully close to the picture above, see a Thinline I did below with it.

The REAL trick to replicate what's in the picture you posted above is to find a body/lam top (might need to go the Unique Choice route) with wide graining like what's pictured and having the patience to properly fill that grain....

I find this little gem in the showcase, and feel myself strangely drawn to it... ya think this grain is well suited to the proposed finish?  I already have my gold Phat Cat pickup for the neck position...

T1662A.jpg

I did a project with a warmoth body blank that was similar to that.

Here is the link where I posted some pics: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2634.msg26528#msg26528

That's pretty nifty, Chris - that definitely is more reminscent of the real Gibby voodoo finish than what I'm going for, but it's pretty cool anyway.  I'm not crazy about the endgrain being filled with the pale grain filler, but the top looks pretty cool.  What did you use to blacken the ash?

Back