VIP Jazz Build

AleForce1

Thinking of building a VIP Jazz build, in the “style” of a Pat Metheny guitar.

Guitar Body: VIP Carved Top - Hollow
Core Wood: Maple
Lam Top Wood: Birdseye Maple
Neck & Bridge pickups: Humbucker
2 F Holes
Gotoh Wraparound Bridge - liked the look of it on Rick's VIP
Paint/Finish: Transparent - Vintage Tint

VIP_Maple.jpg

Any thoughts?
Pickups you would recommend?

Based off of the video on the Alumitone Fusion Jazz 251 humbuckers page I decided to order a set. Last night the incompetent USPS dropped them off at my neighbors house - a 1/10th of a mile away. Thanks to my security camera's I was able to determine that the USPS cannot be trusted to do their job. Each pickup is 2.6 oz.
IMG_6959.jpg IMG_6960.jpg

Yesterday I ordered a custom Warmoth neck (Birdseye Maple/Ebony/59 Roundback) for this guitar.
Warmoth Neck.jpeg

Last edited:
The Warmoth neck arrived on Saturday, and the body is going to arrive on Thursday.
Any recommendations for locking tuners? I am thinking Schaller M6 Locking Guitar Tuners, 3+3 Set, but up for suggestions as this is my first non-strat or tele neck.
WarmothNeck_FRONT.jpegWarmoth_back.jpeg WarmothNeck_headstock.jpeg
Warmoth Guitar Neck
Construction:Modern Tiltback
Shaft Wood: Birdseye Maple
Fretboard Wood: Ebony
Nut Width:1-11/16" (43mm) - Modern Medium
Neck Back Profile:59 Roundback
Fretboard Radius:10" - 16" Compound
Number of Frets: 22
Fret Size & Material: SS6115 - Wide & Tall (Stainless)
Tuner Hole Size: Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
Inlay Shape: Trapezoid
Inlay Material:White Pearloid
Side Dots:White Side Dots
String Nut:Standard Nut - GraphTech White TUSQ XL
Finish:Vintage Tint Gloss

open backed locking Hipshot’s

Thanks. I forgot that I did install a set of Hipshots (not open backed though) on my Scalloped Rosewood Strat neck a few months ago, and didn't notice much difference between them and the Schaller's that I have on my other Warmoth necks - other then a smaller Wallet Biopsy.

I will definitely give the open backed locking Hipshot’s a try since the body will be hollow.

That is going to be a terrific looking guitar. I've always toyed with the VIP and Mooncaster designs for a build. The VIP looks to have terrific upper register access.

Really interested to get your thoughts on those pickups. Before seeing your pickup choice, was going to recommend Seth Lovers from Seymour Duncan.

You could get some keda dyes and experiment ... i wrote to them and sent keda a picture of what i wanted and they sent me back the recipe. I thisk was a mix of yelloe and brown to pop the grain . . Sand it down a little then a coat of a yellow red with a tou ch of blue and brown. I'll see if i can dig it up...

Top coat ... probably any kind of wipe on ... then buff it. Tru oil maybe.

You could get some keda dyes and experiment ... i wrote to them and sent keda a picture of what i wanted and they sent me back the recipe. I thisk was a mix of yelloe and brown to pop the grain . . Sand it down a little then a coat of a yellow red with a tou ch of blue and brown. I'll see if i can dig it up...

Top coat ... probably any kind of wipe on ... then buff it. Tru oil maybe.
Thanks

This is an inspiring build. I always wanted to make one and I really like the F holes mixed with the Trapezoid inlays. Looks top shelf. Can't wait to see it strung up and learn of how it sounds. :cool:

This is an inspiring build. I always wanted to make one and I really like the F holes mixed with the Trapezoid inlays. Looks top shelf. Can't wait to see it strung up and learn of how it sounds. :cool:
Thanks. I've got the switch, pots and tuners arriving soon. I've got a trip to Europe coming up, so it probably won't be until the middle of November that I have it stringed up & plugged in.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed a few weeks after I placed the custom orders in July. The unique option became available again, so I've been anxiously awaiting to see what the body & neck would look like when it arrived. It was like Christmas when I opened the boxes.

Once again I'm blown away at the craftsmanship and quality from the crew at WARMOTH.

This what the sent me. ....
Yes this kit does have all 5 colors Black, Blue Brown, Red and yellow. Amber is super easy color to hit, but it can also vary a little based on the wood itself, but a good start would be something like:

6 ounces batch
1/4th tsp yellow
Pea size of red
Half pea size of brown (and blue for more golden color)

The colors are very color potent, so it doesn't take much to shift colors, or to make a pretty color concentrated dye stain for that matter. If you wanted the amber to have more of an orange look, simply add a little more red, darker add a little more brown.

The color will look wonky when mixed and will think it is too dark, but the wood will have a different look with this color. Hope that helps out and thank you for your interest

Back