Very, VERY, important Radiohead news.

Superlizard said:
But that little "cha-chunk cha-chunk" right before they poured on the wall of buzzy-bees distortion "But I'm a creeeeep..." used to crack my friend and I up something serious... we'd be rolling on the floor every time.

That part was actually Jonny's attempt to ruin the song because he didn't like it.

Seriously though, I don't understand how people can be somewhat into Radiohead and not appreciate Kid A and Amnesiac. Then they masterfully brought around all this electronic experimentation and mixed it perfectly with their earlier guitar-driven style in Hail to the Thief. And if you have not seen them live, it's something you've got to experience. The downside is that they are so big that they usually only play the larger venues, which are inherently impersonal. Oh, and a ton of stupid pot heads tend to show up as well.

I think their only album I can live without is Pablo Honey, but the rest are all top-shelf albums for different reasons.

I dunno, they never did much for me, personally, but I appreciate them taking on the record biz straight up - must have cost them a fortune in lost revenues to give away their album. I'll take mopey experimental rock over another metal-ballad any day, in general, but I just like more melodic stuff than radiohead I guess.

tfarny said:
I dunno, they never did much for me, personally, but I appreciate them taking on the record biz straight up - must have cost them a fortune in lost revenues to give away their album. I'll take mopey experimental rock over another metal-ballad any day, in general, but I just like more melodic stuff than radiohead I guess.

Actually, a lot of people think they made more off In Rainbows by doing it the way they did.

I think if someone really listened to the scope of Radiohead's work they would find them very melodic though. But anyway, that's not what this thread is about  :icon_smile:

"...sparse, clanging percussion sequences evoking an abandoned playground in winter"

Brilliant and hilarious.

Anyway, Kid A and Amnesiac are probably my favorite Radiohead albums. To me, they sound like a soundtrack to losing one's mind. Which is a funny thing to say, but that is always how they have struck me.

nathana said:
"...sparse, clanging percussion sequences evoking an abandoned playground in winter"

Brilliant and hilarious.

Anyway, Kid A and Amnesiac are probably my favorite Radiohead albums. To me, they sound like a soundtrack to losing one's mind. Which is a funny thing to say, but that is always how they have struck me.

I can agree with that. It's like you get a little taste of going crazy without actually going crazy.

Wow.  After reading through the respones, it makes me wonder if a few of you didn't read the article...  It just turned into a discussion on Radiohead, who IMHO are pompous and unmemorable.  And I have 4 of their albums.  The Bends is pretty good, the rest of them leave me wishing I'd instead put on some Motorhead, Pink Floyd, Buena Vista Social Club, or Elliot Fisk.

I read the article, and I laughed! Of course they sounded like pompous asses in the article, it was a fake article. Though since it's the onion, they are just stretching the truth. Radiohead aren't THAT jerky, but they DO certainly enjoy themselves plenty. Whatever. I still like the music. If you don't like them, that's fine, no skin off my nose. The article is funny regardless. Everyone should be able to laugh at themselves and/or at the music they enjoy.

Article was funny, didn't realize we couldn't go off topic in an 'off topic' post though! Most famous musicians sound like either complete dunces or pompous asses in interviews, so Radiohead are pretty typical in that regard. My favorite interview, Hohner came out with a Bob Dylan sig harmonica series and interviewed the bard to drum up excitement about the product: http://www.hohnerusa.com/bobdylaninterview.html

Does the harmonica play a role in your songwriting process?
“No”

How do you feel your harmonica playing has influenced today’s players?
“I’m not sure it has”

Are there any young harmonica players today that capture your attention?
“Not really. But I hope one comes along soon.”

What advice would you give to a beginning harp player?
“Listen to Little Walter, Wayne Raney and Jimmy Reed!”

I love the Onion and I love Radiohead's music... Thom Yorke does seem to take himself very seriously though. But the music is epic so if that's what it takes, I don't care. It doesn't ever effect me. I think of them as a kind of modern Pink Floyd.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32818 - - very short and so very true :laughing7:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28784 - - how did they know?  :laughing7:

Superlizard said:
neuftone said:
... after I wiped away the layer of depression and self-pity that had been dumped on me, I had to laugh...they have a bit of a crucifixion complex, whining about their lot in life, being chased around by cameras and the like.

That defines the vast majority of 90's rock, and that's exactly why I though most of it sucked. 

It all stemmed from the 90's typical flannel wearing suburban teenybopper angst where they had everything going for them and life was sooo good that they lacked any initiative to do anything positive.

I don't wanna listen to whiny crap and be all depressed - I want hi-energy, great gonzos, feel-good guitar extravaganzas laden with sexual innuendo and the like, or slower & thoughtful tunes.  Oh yeah, and guitar solos.

I mean really, who wants to feel like sh!te?  Who wants to listen to music that furthers the self-pity and self-loathing?

Bust out the party & enjoy life, man.   :icon_thumright:   :icon_jokercolor:

allow me to rebut

for a start most of those songwriters from the major 90's/grunge bands actually had serious problems, not "everything going for them"

i mean just off teh top of my head

Kurt cobain - came from a broken home, serious drug problem from the age of 13
Layne staley - abusive father who introduced to heroin which eventually killed him
Mark lanegan - Alcoholic
Courtney love - abusive father, left home at the age of like 15, serious drug problems

and that's just a few

also it's ratehr unfair to say all the music was self loathing, listen to pearl jam or soundgarden, a lot of it's not happy but it's not self loathing or whining

in the end thier were some kilelr bands who wrote soem brillaint music in the 90's, don't just generalize it's stupid

cso frankly id much ratehr listen to some well written adn clever music ratehr than that bland led zep rip-off shit with painful innuendos and wanky guitar solos

oh yeh and the 90's had soem kilelr guitarists... kim thayil, jerry cantrell, billy corgan and mike mcready, they can shred aswell as any 70's guitarist

oh yeh and the late 70's were just plain shit  :icon_tongue:

gnome said:
allow me to rebut

for a start most of those songwriters from the major 90's/grunge bands actually had serious problems, not "everything going for them"

i mean just off teh top of my head

Kurt cobain - came from a broken home, serious drug problem from the age of 13
Layne staley - abusive father who introduced to heroin which eventually killed him
Mark lanegan - Alcoholic
Courtney love - abusive father, left home at the age of like 15, serious drug problems

and that's just a few

also it's ratehr unfair to say all the music was self loathing, listen to pearl jam or soundgarden, a lot of it's not happy but it's not self loathing or whining

in the end thier were some kilelr bands who wrote soem brillaint music in the 90's, don't just generalize it's stupid

cso frankly id much ratehr listen to some well written adn clever music ratehr than that bland led zep rip-off shite with painful innuendos and wanky guitar solos

oh yeh and the 90's had soem kilelr guitarists... kim thayil, jerry cantrell, billy corgan and mike mcready, they can shred aswell as any 70's guitarist

oh yeh and the late 70's were just plain shite  :icon_tongue:

No way, man - the 70's knew how to party, and indulgent wanky guitar solos r00l.

And doubtful those old-school musicians had it better; in fact, they prolly had it the same... or worse.

Accept the 70's as your master... before it destroys you.  :icon_biggrin:

(for the record, I love Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger)

Wanky guitar solos, it depends who is playing it, because sometimes I enjoy them and sometimes I can't stand it.

As for the painful innuendos and lyrics about how great a singer is and how much he's gonna make his lady come... yeah I could happily do without all of that.

I gotta agree with SL, 70s > 90s. Kim Thayil is the only grunge guitarist whose tunes I have bothered to try to learn. I still remember being 19, beginner guitarist, figuring out "teen spirit" in 5 minutes and going, "well THATS not very impressive". As for feeling sorry for the poor grunge generation (that's me, too), whaddeva. Most pampered generation in history - today's youth are going to have a far far harder time in life, it's sad to say.

Superlizard said:
No way, man - the 70's knew how to party, and indulgent wanky guitar solos r00l.

And doubtful those old-school musicians had it better; in fact, they prolly had it the same... or worse.

Accept the 70's as your master... before it destroys you.  :icon_biggrin:

(for the record, I love Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger)

1. I don't disliek solos but i hate solos for teh sake of it, not every song needs one, often just soloing becasue you can ruins a perfectly good song and soloing at eevry chance don't maek you jimmy page

2. and i wasnt comparing who 'had it worse' just pointing out that the major musicians of teh era were'nt pampered teens who "had everything going for them and life was sooo good"

3. technical difficulty =/= good song

for me music is avout feeling, i can't stand music with no soul, write a riff, sign abotu sex, verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus every song tada 70's rock! of course that's a generalisation adn the 70's had soem killer bands, especially early on, the late 60's through to early 70's was brilliant!! and of course the 90's had soem terrible music, hundreds of Kurt Cobain wananbes wailing on teh gibson mum bought them and boy did the 90's have a fuckload of shit college bands!!

but the 90's had soem amazign music aswell just as good as any otehr decade

I too would concur that 70s > 90s.  I'm a child of the 90s, and Weezer, Radiohead, Cake, U2, et al put out some great music in that decade.  But the 70s had Yes at their peak, Led Zeppelin, all manner of funk, jazz fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Steely Dan, et cetera et cetera (speaking of, Peter Cetera, before he wussed out in the late 70s and 80s and forgot he could actually lay down a good groove on the Precision).

'68 to '78 was probably the single best 10 years of popular music in my view.  All other times have decent and good music...but the late 60s and early 70s, something very unique occurred with reference to music that has not reoccurred on the same level at any point in my lifetime.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there was good music in every decade.

Granted, the popular music of the late 60s to late 70s was "better" than the popular music of today, but that doesn't mean there isn't amazing stuff put out today.

It's just under the radar now.  You have to look for it.

Same thing with the 90s, there was all kinds of incredible music in the 90s, you just had to go past the radio or MTV to get to it.  :icon_thumright:

thers no point in talkign abotu periods of music, for soem reason everyoen think music started in the 50's...

but yeh all periods had soemthign good, are current music scene is pretty awful but it produced Queens of the stoneage who are as good as any band from any generation

and im sure all of you can think of a band from recent time thye love

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Back