Van Halen

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It's widest point is perpendicular to the strings; not angled, in other words.  Knowing no reasoning, if I guessed, I'd say because a bridge single coil is angled.  The problem with quoting EVH is quoting EVH.  I don't think he's intentionally spreading misinformation to perpetuate the mojo, I think he just doesn't remember, or has had his capacity to remember hampered.  To quote George Costanza, "It's not a lie if you believe it."

but if the picup has 2 coils it is widest diagonally measured from the center of the pole for string 1 on the north coil to the center of string 6 on the south coil. sure none of the rest line up perfectly in that case so you'd have strings being picked up by different numbered pole pieced at varying levels but i'm sure it all averages out to be pretty close to the same volume level rather than the e strings garenteed to be weaker.

I'm extremely happy with this "prop". It looks bad ass and it sounds fantastic. I just wish I had the chops that it deserves.
MULLY

I made this video for a friend and it seems appropriate enough to share it here.  It was quite cold, so I had a long sleeve shirt on (rare for me), and I wasn't expecting them to get in the way of the strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPOZu1FyYE

AutoBat said:
I made this video for a friend and it seems appropriate enough to share it here.  It was quite cold, so I had a long sleeve shirt on (rare for me), and I wasn't expecting them to get in the way of the strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPOZu1FyYE

That's super cool, man. Thanks for sharing that with us.
MULLY

The angled bridge pickup, Eddie's reasoning is puzzling.  He said he did it to better align the pole pieces of a Gibson spaced humbucker with a wider spaced Floyd.  It's puzzling because if the spacing of the bridge is wider than the spacing of the pickup, angling it should compound it.

Well, that can't be right because when he stuck that pup in there the Floyd hadn't been invented yet. His guitar at that time had a 6 hole Fender.
MULLY

mullyman said:
The angled bridge pickup, Eddie's reasoning is puzzling.  He said he did it to better align the pole pieces of a Gibson spaced humbucker with a wider spaced Floyd.  It's puzzling because if the spacing of the bridge is wider than the spacing of the pickup, angling it should compound it.

Well, that can't be right because when he stuck that pup in there the Floyd hadn't been invented yet. His guitar at that time had a 6 hole Fender.
MULLY

The Floyd and 6 hole are similar spacing, and both different than the spacing of the Gibson humbucker.

Back