Van Halen

mullyman

Ok, so I grabbed some shots for you guys and I'll lay out the specs here too.

Warmoth swamp ash body bought from showcase in gloss black. 4lbs 1oz
Shipped to Mean Street Guitars for painting.
http://www.meanstreetguitars.com
v4qk.jpg

Rear: EVH Frankenstein Front: Mean Street original controlled with a push/pull pot. I have to say that with all the fancy pickups out there that this original pickup from Mean Street would be one that I would actually choose. To be totally honest I was expecting it to be crap, I was prepared for it, I was ready to order a VanZant or VooDoo if I had to. No need to, this pickup has all kinds of balls and it's got great tone. I would buy this if it was on the market.
n1yw.jpg

Birdseye on birdseye neck. Fender thin back shape, Warmoth compound radius, stainless steel 6105 fret wire, Floyd Rose nut, Schaller locking tuners. Which I've found don't hold the tune as well as locking it down with the nut. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue but it is.

qkjc.jpg

Ernie Ball MULLY MAN logo. Miscommunication on both sides ended up giving me this huge logo. I assumed he would make it small like Ernie Ball does. He assumed I wanted it the same size as the artwork I sent him. He told me that I could send it back to him and he'd fix it for no charge AND he'd pay the shipping back to me. I can't do that, it was an honest mistake and I'm partly to blame for assuming it would be smaller. It's growing on me already though so I'll keep it as it is. Gotta have the Warmoth turtle too.
0jg1.jpg

"Franky" neck plate ordered from FSR Shop. http://www.fsrshop.com Notice the VH stripes behind him.  :icon_thumright:
qyr3.jpg

Music Man stamped Floyd Rose. Since Eddie did his stint with Music Man I thought this would be a nice touch. Also, this bridge did come off of an EVH signature Music Man. 1971 quarter....just like Ed's.
zogm.jpg

And, last but not least, the EVH brand D-Tuna.
cd00.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed this. I'm really liking this guitar. The one thing I made sure to do was order everything that fit the same mold as my white Strat down there in my sig. The neck and frets are pretty much spot on. I love the consistency you can get with Warmoth. I know a lot of you guys are probably rolling your eyes at yet another EVH fanboy getting a Frankenstein but, meh, I don't mind. My band some a few Van Halen tunes and this will be my go to on those. Anyway, thanks for looking.
MULLY

Cool!
Of course you should have the guitar as you want it, but I thought the huge logo was great :toothy12:

That bridge is a Gotoh just stamped Musicman isn't it?

No stranger to tribute/replica guitars myself, I gotta say that's beautiful Mully!

And I for one like the the way the headstock decals turned out.

Rock on brother Beavis.

:headbang1:

Cederick said:
Cool!
Of course you should have the guitar as you want it, but I thought the huge logo was great :toothy12:

That bridge is a Gotoh just stamped Musicman isn't it?

That is correct, I think. I'm pretty sure Music Man uses Gotoh.
MULLY

ORCRiST said:
No stranger to tribute/replica guitars myself, I gotta say that's beautiful Mully!

And I for one like the the way the headstock decals turned out.

Rock on brother Beavis.

:headbang1:

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'm getting used to the large decal there.
MULLY

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
If you don't mind my asking: "What did the custom paint set you back?

Well, he was going to charge me 475.00 for the paint job only. I have no idea if that is his standard fare though. I am a third time return customer, he may have been cutting me a deal. I have no idea, he didn't say one way or the other.
MULLY

The angled bridge pickup, Eddie's reasoning is puzzling.  He said he did it to better align the pole pieces of a Gibson spaced humbucker with a wider spaced Floyd.  It's puzzling because if the spacing of the bridge is wider than the spacing of the pickup, angling it should compound it.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The angled bridge pickup, Eddie's reasoning is puzzling.  He said he did it to better align the pole pieces of a Gibson spaced humbucker with a wider spaced Floyd.  It's puzzling because if the spacing of the bridge is wider than the spacing of the pickup, angling it should compound it.

IIRC, it's not the pole pieces, but the coil that needs to be spaced right to pick up the strings. So the coil is now wide enough to pick up all the strings.... Although I'll admit I figured he just threw it in there, I didn't figure he had a reason for angling it.

:blob7:

It's widest point is perpendicular to the strings; not angled, in other words.  Knowing no reasoning, if I guessed, I'd say because a bridge single coil is angled.  The problem with quoting EVH is quoting EVH.  I don't think he's intentionally spreading misinformation to perpetuate the mojo, I think he just doesn't remember, or has had his capacity to remember hampered.  To quote George Costanza, "It's not a lie if you believe it."

Altar said:
IIRC, it's not the pole pieces, but the coil that needs to be spaced right to pick up the strings. So the coil is now wide enough to pick up all the strings.... Although I'll admit I figured he just threw it in there, I didn't figure he had a reason for angling it.

Of course he didn't have a reason. Back when Eddie put his Frankenstrat together, he was basically an idiot, happy enough to have strings to install. From all reports, he still is. But, he spent a great deal of time learning how to play and get a particular sound, which paid off handsomely. Reproducing his instrument is an exercise in futility; you have to reproduce his playing habits and way of thinking. At this stage of the game, Eddie would sound like Eddie no matter what he played. You don't need a trainwreck of a guitar to do it. It's just a prop. There are approximately 50 bajillion videos on YouTube that will prove you can do "Eruption" or "Panama" on any old guitar you care to pick up.

Back