Two new necks on the way

whiskyboy1977

I've just pulled the trigger on two new necks for a couple of builds that seem to have been going on forever!  Both necks have identical spec, standard thin Warhead without any inlays, R4 floyd nut, SS6100 frets. First one is Roasted Maple/Roasted Maple and the second is Wenge/Pau Ferro.  I've never played a naked neck before, although I have a Canary/Ebony tele neck that is waiting to be attached to the third build I'm working on...one day I'll finish one of these!

The necks will be going on a alder/spalted maple strat with a Fernandes sustainer in the neck and a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver in the bridge, and an alpine white strat that I picked up on here from MikeW, thanks again for that.  I've decided I want three Dimarzios in this, chopper in the neck, tone zone s in the bridge, and possibly an air norton in the middle although I'm unsure of this last choice.

Now the wait for the necks and shipping to Scotland!

No neck pics yet, only placed the order yesterday so I think it'll be 8-10 weeks before I can update on that.  Here is the first body http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18374.msg272738#msg272738, and the second http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24127.0

And they've arrived!  I've always wanted a Wenge neck, and it's just about perfect.  What I am really amazed with is the Roasted Maple neck, I really bought it on a whim as I kind of needed another neck.  It is like silk in my hand, I actually sat watching TV smelling it for about an hour last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
And here's the body for one of them, not sure which yet.  Also a pic of the new head I bought to go with this guitar, Line6 HD50 which I picked up for £400 new.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
whiskyboy1977 said:
What I am really amazed with is the Roasted Maple neck, I really bought it on a whim as I kind of needed another neck.  It is like silk in my hand, I actually sat watching TV smelling it for about an hour last night.

You ain't felt nothin' yet. Do this.

You've read my mind!  I was actually going to PM you about this very topic as I wasn't sure if it'd work on roasted maple.  Would it be a little pointless doing it to the wenge neck?  I'm worried it'd gunk up in the wood grain.

It has less of an effect on Wenge, but what effect it has is positive. Won't gunk it up, that's for sure. I've done a couple that way.

As for the roasted Maple, you definitely want to do it. Of all the necks I've done this to, roasted Maple, Pau Ferro and Bloodwood have responded the best - turns 'em into a whole new thing. Other species respond well, too, but not like those do because they're so dense. You do have to be patient when you get to the higher grits, though. They cut very slowly because they're so fine, so right about the time you think you're done, give it another 15 minutes. Your arm will hurt the next day, but it's worth it.

Thanks for the advice, I know what my weekend plans are.  I can't believe the roasted maple can feel better, I've never felt such smooth joy...and the sandpaper will smell of maple syrup!

I was of that opinion when I did the first Pau Ferro neck, but trust me - it's time well-spent. That thing felt like sex on a stick right out of the box, but after it got burnished? Hoo boy! Whole new thing. And what's really cool about it is that unlike an artificial satin finish, it stays super-fast.

whiskyboy1977 said:
... and an alpine white strat that I picked up on here from MikeW, thanks again for that. ...

No sweat at all. I'm stoked it's going to be used. I think that Wenge/Pao Ferro would look killer on it, especially if you're doing all the hardware in chrome. Man, that'll be nice!

Here's the back of the necks after the Cagey polishing treatment...what a difference!  The maple was already pretty slick, now its just amazing!  The wenge came out better than I expected and to my hand feels the slicker of the two.  Now to wait on the floyd nuts and Gotoh tuners.

Attachments

• Wenge.jpg
    Wenge.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Maple.jpg
    Maple.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The necks are now attached, I think I've made the correct decision with these two.  Just need tuners and nuts to arrive and we're done!

Attachments

• IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Back