Tweed Princeton 5F2-A kit build

Steve St.Laurent

I built a 59 Strat tribute/clone this spring/summer and wanted a nice small amp to match.  I was looking at Champ kits at first but after a buch of research decided to build a Tweed Princeton 5F2-A - except in a cabinet sized between a Champ and the Princeton 5F2-A and a 10" speaker instead of an 8".  It's basically a Champ (5w) with a tone circuit. I have a lot of experience with electrical and electronics but first I did a LOT of reading on amps! Bought a book on tube amps and learned how to discharge the caps, work on it safely, etc. I also spent a LOT of time reading this thread: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-and-first-build-5f2a-tweed-princeton.779349/ - tons of great info there.

My Strat has distressed hardware from Callaham and an aged nitro finish (looks like a very well cared for vintage guitar) so I planned to do the same with the amp.  I sourced some NOS knobs and fuse holder, and a stainless steel chassis from Weber. The rest of the hardware came from Mojotone. I used muriatic acid to age the hardware and chassis and used decals for the print.

For the cabinet I found https://amprestoration.com/fender-relic-cabinet/ and loved his work. Talked to him over the phone and sent him pics of my guitar and case that I refinished to look vintage so he could match to that.  Then the long 2 1/2 month wait. He did an awesome job - totally worth it!!

I had a hard time deciding whether to put a nameplate on it or not. I wanted it to look vintage but wasn't prepared to spend the $ I'd need to get a custom one. I didn't really like the idea of putting a Fender one on - on my strat the headstock says Faux in the Fender font for example. I left it off at first but it just didn't look right. I won't ever be  selling it and the cabinet isn't even a size Fender made - I don't think anyone would mistake it for the real thing if they looked inside. So in the end I decided to use the Fender nameplate.

I'm stoked with how it came out.  I think it looks great - and more importantly sounds great!  Fun project and it'll be fun playing a rig that I built!  I have a lot more pics and can add more details if there's interest.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpg
    IMG_4216.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3952.jpg
    IMG_3952.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 262
This amp is very cool. I'm partial to fewer controls and simpler systems. This one has it in spades PLUS a second instrument input. Nice!  :icon_thumright:

That is super cool.

I'd love to take some kind of continuing ed class and make an amp kit. I have my heart set on a deluxe.

I'd be happy with just one of these with 1000 watts and four 15" speakers. :icon_biggrin:

Rgand said:
I'd be happy with just one of these with 1000 watts and four 15" speakers. :icon_biggrin:

Planning on playing at Angel Stadium are you?........ :party07: :headbanging:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

Planning on playing at Angel Stadium are you?........ :party07: :headbanging:
:icon_thumright: :laughing11:

Back