Tuner screw broke in the headstock!

Note, you probably won't find drill bits smaller than 1/16" in any of your local hardware stores.

What you'd want then is a "numbered drill set".

Inch pattern drills come in number, letter, and fractional sizes.

Metric pattern drills come in decimal-fraction mm sizes.

Link to drill size chart ---> http://homepages.waymark.net/mikefirth/drill.htm

Here's another thing to consider, the screw on the tuner only needs to be tight enough to not fall out. the screw is acting to prevent the tuner from rotating, not falling out of the headstock. so use the biggest drill bit that will allow a lightly snug fit. Then install the screw so that it just flushes with the tuner.

How bout Kluson type tuners ?  Don't they need the screw for more than just preventing them from turning?

Correctomundo; but to reiterate, all you need for anything you're going to get from Warmoth is a 1/16" bit, a proper large jeweler's phillips head screwdriver and a hole drilled to the proper depth...

-CB- said:
How bout Kluson type tuners ?  Don't they need the screw for more than just preventing them from turning?

To be honest CB I dont know about Kluson's, I still dont think the screws need to be inserted at the brink of breaking. almost as bad as breaking screws is spinning the screw driver in the head of the screw, that's like Green Bay cheese

Alfang said:
-CB- said:

To be honest CB I dont know about Kluson's, I still dont think the screws need to be inserted at the brink of breaking. almost as bad as breaking screws is spinning the screw driver in the head of the screw, that's like Green Bay cheese

The main thing to watch with Klusons is getting the holes perpendicular.

Reference is to Fender peghead 5 in-line Klusons, where with the exception of the 2 end tuners one screw is between and holding two tuners. If the screws aren't tight/flush the tuners can "rock"/ start to turn...

Back