tuneomatic

vtpcnk

i tried to change strings on my washburn hb-35 (mij) which i had bought recently off ebay.

to my surprise the saddles are not attached the tuneomatic bridge!

when i remove the strings the saddles simply fall off!

after the saddles fell off i just put them back on the bridge and put the string on. it holds on if the string is in place.

i was not sure if the saddle is supposed  to be in any specific place on the bridge - in that quarter of an inch!

i just put it in the center of the slot and put the string on.

i checked the intonation on the 12th fret and it seemed to sound ok.

is this what is meant by an saddles which can be adjusted for intonation etc?

or is there something wrong?

i actually have another hb35 - but not with me right now to cross check - but afair the saddles were not apart from the bridge. but can't verify it now.

appreciate any insights on this.

So long as the intonation is ok, then your set.  There should be a screw for adjustment at the front or back of the bridge to make it easier though.  Did the saddle have a a screw attached to it?

Les_paul_tune-o-matic_stopbar.jpg

>Did the saddle have a a screw attached to it?

that's the point - none of the saddles are attached to the screws. they are all loose!

vtpcnk said:
is this what is meant by an saddles which can be adjusted for intonation etc?

or is there something wrong?
Yes, the TOM allows the saddle to be moved forward or backward to set the intonation.  In theory they shouldn't be in a perfect row, but if that's where your intonation is perfect then go with it. 

On a standard TOM the screw and saddle shouldn't separate unless you unscrew it. 

>Yes, the TOM allows the saddle to be moved forward or backward to set the intonation.  In theory they shouldn't be in a perfect row, but if >that's where your intonation is perfect then go with it. 

i just put the saddle in the center of the screw. i have a feeling that if you place the saddle anywhere on the screw it will still intonate. though "perfect intonation" is something i might not be able to personally verify.

If it sounds good enough to your ears, fine, but just putting them all in the center will give you crappy intonation.  You will discover that notes high on the neck are very out of tune.  You should learn how to intonate your guitar!  It will make you play just like Clapton: in tune.   :icon_biggrin:

So this bridge sounds pretty weird.    :tard:  If you turn the screws, do the saddles move?  If so you can intonate it, but it sucks to have to re-intonate it every time you change the strings.  If you have another TOM, take a saddle out of it and see if it fits in this weird bridge... if it does you can get a new set of saddles.  Or just buy a new bridge, they're only 20 bucks!  Small price to pay for good intonation IMO.   :icon_thumright:

Edit: but make sure the stud spacing is right or you'll be a sad panda :p

Back