My life is free now, my life is clear
I love you sweet leaf, though you can't hear

Come on now, try it out

Straight people don't know, what you're about
They put you down and shut you out
you gave to me a new belief
and soon the world will love you sweet leaf

headbang.gif

Yep, bubble wrap, tape, tied-on T-shirt rags, whatever works. If I'm spot-finishing, I head right to the kitchen and get the plastic wrap. Wrap your guitar up just like it was a big ol' flat chicken, cut out a hole just where you're working, tape it down with BLUE painter's tape... whatever works. Vacuum a LOT.

& tell your grandkids the bong is a plumbing project. :icon_smile:

(&, never start a sentence with an ampersand....)

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/gd_NoteworthyScarletFires_pt2.asx

WOW!
All I can say is...I agree, sir.  :cool01:

Here is one or two in your honor.  :glasses9:

Hello, everybody. Been pretty busy, lately.

Well, here's a pic of the finish so far.

6MyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase3003.jpg

1dMyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase3002.jpg

I ended up painting the headstock face Black. I'm going to apply a logo I designed. I named the guitar after my dad. It's a shame he's not able to see it. He's probably looking down with a smile on his face, though. :glasses10:

The lighting wasn't that great. It looks a lot better "in person". :icon_biggrin:

2bMyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase3004.jpg

It's pretty dark on the back. The reason I made it so dark on the back, is it had a really bad seam:

I'll try to get some better pics this week. Better lighting and more in focus.

I know this isn't the correct thread to post a build in progress, but I just wanted to continue where I left off.

I had to take it to a friend's shop because I had real dust issues in my garage.

I ended up using Nitro instead of acrylic due to my buddy's spray setup.

Onward and upward.

MUYFUE:
Sorry I don't have any pics of the neck setting process. Just used some 80 grit on a piece of a paint stirring stick to open up the neck socket a little, so it would receive the glue. Used Titebond II. Lined up neck with two pieces of dental floss taped to the nut approximately where the two outside strings would lay and stretched to where the outside strings would lay on the bridge. Left it clamped for two days to be sure the glue was good and dry. It's now solid as a rock. :hello2:

Till next post,

-Dave

Great burst, that turned out very nice!!
I'm sure he would be proud.

GitDiv said:
It's pretty dark on the back. The reason I made it so dark on the back, is it had a really bad seam:

I actually think that it looks cool with the asymmetrical seam on the back.  Who knows, maybe having all the string ferrules on the same piece of wood actually improves the tone.  Or something.  You could start a trend if you're not careful.  :)

Very nice job on the finish.  I've used RIT dye for fabrics, but didn't know it could be part of a finish as well.  Keep up the great work!

Man, that looks really great!  I have the same sense of tribute to my father, I'm putting together an Archtop as a tribute to him.
Setting a neck has always been intimidating to me...seeing your results, though, I am encouraged that I can do it!

I may just try it on the next build!
so...Titebond and that's it? Cool. Anyway...great build so far!

MUYFUE,

Yeah, Titebond is stronger than the wood itself. If you tried to pull apart a Titebond joint, the wood itself would give before the glue would fail.

What kind of archtop are you putting together?

I started a carved top in the mid 90's. I used Bob Benedetto's book as a guide. I made the top from Western Red Cedar....real easy to carve (very soft). I got the top carved, bent the sides (bottom bout cracked because I didn't soak the Curly Maple long enough), built the body mold out of glued-up layers of 3/4" plywood, then life happened, and that project has been laying around for 14 years or so. I might resurrect that project over the winter.

Hmm, you've got the old cogs spinning. :sign13:

-Dave

i guess i should have said putting BACK together!
HAHAAHA
The guitar in question was the first guitar my dad ever owned. He got it somewhere back in the mid 50's, as thats when he was a young teen. It was a "Monterry" brand tobacco sunburst job that was really cool!

He, being the great dad, let me paint it white to look like a Gretch, but the look was off...so I'm re-shaping the neck and refinishing and re-assembling it with new parts. I'm gonna start a thread about it soon.

Thanks for the interest. Your finish job is coming out great  :icon_thumright:

Well, I've just about finished it. Just buffed it out, and am quite proud of it. I hope it plays as good as it looks :glasses9:

MyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase3006.jpg

...and back to the original point of this post....the Tummy cut

MyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase3011.jpg

Not bad at all :cool01:

Sorry for the out of focus pic :toothy11:

-Dave

Nice work :icon_thumright: I like the burstover you did on the back of the neck and headstock. :hello2:

Brian

I want to know how everyone gets their wiring so neat...mine always looks like a birdsnest!!!

Back