Tummy Cut

GitDiv

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a pic of my practice tummy cut on a 2x8 piece of lumber.

Before I mess up the real thing. :laughing7:

MyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase2011.jpg

-Dave

Nice!

Let me guess.
Showcase item with everything you want except.....no tummycut?

bpmorton777 said:
you started on the finish before all the woodworking was done?

Brian

I just noticed the other thread on this axe too...I have the same question as bpmorton777 :icon_scratch:

Yup.

Got impatient. Wanted to see if I could do it. That's what tape is for. There's not really any finish on it except vinyl sealer. For this job, I'm looking at the front, the back, and the neck as three separate stain jobs. The back presents some completely different problems to deal with than the front.(the tear-outs, and odd angle of the mahogany glue-up)

Brian:
I noticed that you're a nit-picky son of a gun....and somewhat negative. My 62 years on this Earth has taught me that where there's a will, there's a way. No disrespect, but you should get a life, pal.

I like to look at the glass as half full.

Sorry,

-Dave

no, not necessarily nitpicky or negative, just wouldnt want to scratch up the nice job you did on the front of that. :eek:ccasion14:

Brian

Tape & bubble wrap plus a soft towel.

I used to have a guitar shop. So, I'm very capable of being careful. I've worked on many guitars that just happened to have factory finishes. When you do a replacement of a plastic nut with a bone nut and a fret redress on a $5,000.00 Tal Farlow Gibson (in 1993), you have to develop careful work habits. It just comes with the territory.

-Dave

Cool finish, and lol @ the internet.  I'm excited to see how this ends up (the guitar, not the thread).

-Mark

For what it's worth, I have found that all of the members of this board have one common goal: To help each other design, create, and maintain the highest quality guitars possible. Please accept any of our comments as a sign that we are truly interested in learning more about the craft in the context of a particular build.  :eek:ccasion14:

Please keep us updated on this project! It's looking really promising so far.
I do have one personal request...Include as much info as you can about the process of setting the neck.
I'm starting to get ideas...

EDIT: I re-read your original post and saw this.  :doh: Sorry, man.
GitDiv said:
Hi,

Just thought I'd post a pic of my practice tummy cut on a 2x8 piece of lumber.

Before I mess up the real thing. :laughing7:

Here's a color test I did on the 2x8 hunk of wood.
I think this color will work fine over the Mahogany. It'll be darker, of course, which is exactly what I want. :hello2:

Yeah, I guess some misunderstandings happen when the post isn't completely read.

I'm just kind of trigger happy from being on a couple Amp sites where there were a few real A-holes  :binkybaby: who were quick to go negative. I've been playing since I was 8 and I'm 62 now :guitaristgif:. I was just trying to share some playing knowledge I had gained over the years....it wasn't appreciated at all.

I'll try to be less obtuse.

-Dave

I love that color.. what is it?
it is exactly what I was looking for for my poplar soloist. that turned out so bad, I won't even post a picture of it.

no worries. looks good ! Yes, the internet can confuse when you can't see someone face to face and read there emotions or hear threir voice.  We have had few few bad ones on here as well and they generaly get banned.

here was my build from a body blank...used a surform for the tummy cut.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1106.0

Brian

Mark O said:
I love that color.. what is it?
it is exactly what I was looking for for my poplar soloist. that turned out so bad, I won't even post a picture of it.
I've got you covered, Marko
Soloist3001.jpg

Mark O:

It's a mixture of RIT powdered dyes in denatured alcohol. I think the basic colors are Dk Brown, Scarlet, Tangerine, Sunshine Orange, and Golden Yellow.
The reddish colors are quite strong, so use sparingly. I used the PreVal spray unit to test as I mixed. I just kept adjusting till I liked it.
I bought the dyes from a Jo Ann Fabrics store near me ($2.69 each color). Their online site has a color chart with formulas, and that got me in the right direction, generally. I got the idea from Frank Pope, who has a lot of 'how-to' videos on You Tube. The price point is right down my alley.  :icon_biggrin:

-Dave

GitDiv, you are 62 years old, was in the guitar business, been playing since 8 and thinks a lot of forums aside this one are composed of A-holes. I can totally relate to you.

Unwound G said:
GitDiv, you are 62 years old, was in the guitar business, been playing since 8 and thinks a lot of forums aside this one are composed of A-holes. I can totally relate to you.

Yeah, I think it's mostly young 'hoppers' that think they've got it all covered, but don't really have a clue. :icon_scratch:
I say let 'em live their lives, raise a family, while pursuing a 'musical career' , get pretty good at it, but still get sidetracked by obligations, and the inevitable disappointments and disillusions, and come back and tell me about it. Life's a b****, and then you die. :laughing3:

I'm just glad to be alive at this point.. :hello2:....it beats the alternative.

I can't even do this-  :eek:ccasion14: - anymore, because of liver problems. Now THC is another story. I WILL do that till the day I die. :rock-on:

Thanks for the positive words.

-Dave

GitDiv said:
Now THC is another story. I WILL do that till the day I die. :rock-on:

:icon_thumright:

When I first met you, didn't realize
I can't forget you, for your surprise
you introduced me, to my mind
And left me wanting, you and your kind

I love you, Oh you know it

My life was empty, forever on a down
Until you took me, showed me around