Tummy Cut jig!

S

swarfrat

Aha! Our spies have yielded up the goods. Once in a while I let the remaining brain cells ponder this task, and every time I tried to come up with some sort of contraption OSHA knocked at the door before I even put it down on paper. One such idea even involved a chainsaw mounted precariously. Not exactly, but it did involve a modified sliding chop saw with one of those chainsaw carving wheel sawblades. At any rate, this is so much simpler - it's pure genius.

The tummy cut sanding jig at 3:17
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ApY0dRCVTnk?t=197[/youtube]

It's pure, distilled genius in its simplicity.  An angled support jig that has the router guide cut into the bottom.  Makes me wonder how frequently they have to remake that jig (seems like the tummy cut would get deeper over time - of course they're probably more skilled with it than I would be).

The router has a ball bearing guide bushing. It' doesn't really wear much. And it's a tummy cut - it could wear 1/4" before it was ever noticed.

You're right. Genius it is. I have a spindle sander that would work for that except for the guide bearing at the bottom. I think I'll try a similar jig that just requires me to follow a penciled line on the back. It would take some care but would sure reduce the amount of work I've been doing. Thanks for posting that.

That is a sanding jig not a routing jig in the video. No doubt the tummy cut is created at Warmoth by the CNC. I have seen similar jigs being used in conjunction with a bandsaw to create a tummy cut.

That's what I thought, too, but I wasn't sure so I left it alone. I imagine if you put a coarse enough grit paper on that machine, you could make a cut like that, but it would be pretty inefficient relative to letting the CNC machine bite it off.

I have done tummy cuts (and arm bevels) with a four-in-hand rasp in about 10 minutes - no jigs. Clamp the body to the bench, and put your weight into the tool with a smooth motion. Use the rasp teeth to rough it, and the mill file teeth to smooth it. Feather in the radiused edges with sandpaper, and you're good to go.

https://woodcraft-production-weblinc.netdna-ssl.com/product_images/4-in-1-hand-rasp/5843c17e69702d0253000493/zoom.jpg?c=1480835454

A four-in-hand rasp is flat on one side with rough and smooth ends, and the other side has a convex arch with rough and smooth ends. Great tool for shaping and carving. Oh, yeah - wear leather gloves!

Yeah, I'm sure they CNC route it - but I'm still planning on putting one on my tele. Christmas vacation is coming soon - need to get the planar knives changed and set up...

Back