? Tribute guitar in memory of my Father?

dennq

Hi all. My father passed away Jan 24. and I would like to build a tribute guitar in memory of him.  :(

Has anyone done this?

Wood was his passion and especially loved Walnut and Bubinga.

I need some ideas here. I already have Strats and Teles and was looking for something other than that.

That's beautiful, man.

What sort of music did he play?  (Or if he didn't play, what sort of music did he like?)  If he was a rocker you could make it something like a soloist... if he was a bluesman you could make it an L5S with f-holes.  Either way you can do an all-bubinga or walnut/bubinga neck and a bubinga over walnut body...  If he was into wood maybe you should finish it clear so you just see the wood.  Anyway, I'm sure whatever you make will be great and it doesn't matter what you make it out of as long as you think about your father while you play it.  :(

MY Condolences.  It's a good idea.  What do you think he'd like?

My wifes Dad passed last November. He wasn't a player but really loved the woods I used in the builds he would watch me doing. I built my L5S with him in mind. He particularly liked a bubinga strat I built. Your Dad had excellent taste in woods dennq, bubinga and walnut are both stunners. That combination on any guitar will be a great tribute to his memory. Good on ya! :icon_thumright:

1838275651_d0741dfa33.jpg
2177262720_e797b11c16.jpg

My father was 79.

He really loved the old country music and refused to listen to the new "Young Country". He really liked Hee Haw.

Too bad you can't really make a Warmoth Gretsch-style.  If you have the skill to build the body yourself maybe...

Somewhat off-topic, that bubinga strat of yours, willy, is my favorite Warmoth I've seen yet.

How about a hollow L5s walnut body, bubinga top with 2 f-holes?

Yeah willyk I vote double bound tele. Throw a bigsby on there even. Of all the shapes, teles always have the most country charm I think (besides the already mentioned gretsch, etc)

Someone here made an All American Buck Owens tele tribute ... maybe something like that?

He really loved the old country music and refused to listen to the new "Young Country". He really liked Hee Haw.

This fits my Dad too. I learned to play my first chords on his 1961 Jazzmaster. And, we watched A LOT of Hee Haw!  :icon_thumright:

willyk said:
ildar said:

.....or a double bound thinline Tele (Hee Haw!!)

I was thinking an L5 with f-holes would have a Gretsch-y flavor.

ildar said:
willyk said:
ildar said:

.....or a double bound thinline Tele (Hee Haw!!)

I was thinking an L5 with f-holes would have a Gretsch-y flavor.

Agreed, but how would you make bubinga or walnit orange? I mean, it would HAVE to be orange.

i think orange would look spectacular on bubinga but i don't know how dark bubinga really is i've only seen photos. but i think a walnut colored gretchy thing would be really cool too.

but my sugestion, i know you said you have fenders already but you can always have one more. a flamed walnut 2pcs double bound thinline with a figured bubinga top and bubinga neck, bound ebony board and ss frets, and all tooled hardware tooled neck pickup cover. every thing mop, pickguard, bindings and inlays but dot inlay wouldn't be good enough, i'd want that done by a luthier, something to look good with all the tooled hardware. that sounds so good to me that i might build a tribute to your father!

Back