Trans red or red dye?

GuitarDaddy

New member
Messages
3
Can someone tell me which one comes out darker over flame maple?  I'd like to get close to this color.
Randy

478598-1.jpg
 

dmraco

Senior member
Messages
4,651
check this out...maple top with red dye...korina back with trans red...

hope it helps.
 

tfcreative

Senior member
Messages
200
Also consider first dying black and then sanding back enough to still leave black in the grain. You'll get a more pronounced grain pattern and a darker overall result.
 

Patrick from Davis

Senior member
Messages
2,197
The dyes will give a much deeper visual effect with the figuring.  The tinted transparents are generally used for woods that do not dye well.  As mentioned, the black dye sanded back and then red dyed will give a dramatic contrast, and look durn purty to boot.
Patrick

 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,464
dmraco said:
check this out...maple top with red dye...korina back with trans red...

hope it helps.
That's a nice one there Dave, but I feel sad for you about that gapping hole where a Floyd Rose goes........... :laughing11:
 

dmraco

Senior member
Messages
4,651
DangerousR6 said:
dmraco said:
check this out...maple top with red dye...korina back with trans red...

hope it helps.
That's a nice one there Dave, but I feel sad for you about that gapping hole where a Floyd Rose goes........... :laughing11:

opposed to the hole in the back left by the floyd?!?!.... :icon_thumright:sorry...never been a floyd fan...80s metal = Kahler....

back to topic...black and sand back...then red.  I also hit with some 0000 steel wool after the red.  It will help it pop a little more.
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,464
dmraco said:
DangerousR6 said:
dmraco said:
check this out...maple top with red dye...korina back with trans red...

hope it helps.
That's a nice one there Dave, but I feel sad for you about that gapping hole where a Floyd Rose goes........... :laughing11:

opposed to the hole in the back left by the floyd?!?!.... :icon_thumright:sorry...never been a floyd fan...80s metal = Kahler....

back to topic...black and sand back...then red.  I also hit with some 0000 steel wool after the red.  It will help it pop a little more.
:icon_biggrin:
 
Top