Tortoise binding on tobacco burst?

I'm thinking of a VIP in tobacco burst, but I'm not a fan of binding. Anyone have tortoise binding on tobacco burst? Does it blend in nicely?

Personally, I would say it will not blend in and will clash visually. A plain colour would be less likely to clash. Black perhaps especially with a black burst over edge.

They are both brown colours, so it's dangerous ground for colour clash where the variation becomes noticible. It would be safer to choose a binding with more contrast. Normally cream or Ivory are typical choices.

Last edited:
Just made a tobacco burst with a white pearloid binding. I think it looks spectacular, but my tastes in guitar aesthetics tend to lean more toward the obnoxious ;)

I’ve got a tobacco burst and transparent brown back with a ivroid binding. I think it looks really good. Tortoise binding with that combo wouldn’t be my jam, but to each his own.

If you have a low level of contrast, you risk it looking unintentionally weird, like it looks similar but not the same but you’re trying to force it. Imagine a vintage white guitar with ivroid, for example. With high contrast, it’s obvious you are going for an intentional look.

Tortoise binding over brown (along a Rosewood fretboard e.g.) can almost look black. Be very sure it's what you want before ordering.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'm debating between black and ivory for now, although the obnoxious pearloid does sound tempting...

Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures later this year so future Warmoth buyers can use it as a reference.

I'd love to see that if you ever get around to posting pictures.
Here you go! This is while still working on the clear coats. And discovering that I did a lousy job of grain filling on the sides, so yyyyyeaaaahhhhh, I totally meant it to have that open-pore look. Completely intentional...... ;)

2023-12-29 20.54.47 - Copy.jpg

Back