Tool for Knurled toggle nut?

simple

Staff member
Anyone have a tool suggestion to tighten the ribbed knurled nut that comes with most LP style toggle switches? Standard pliers always seem to damage it to a certain extent.

It's horribly overpriced, but it works perfectly.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Toggle_Switch_Wrench.html

I dont think it's overpriced at all, I'd rather pay 20 bucks for the right tool , than to spend a week fixing a scratched or chipped paint job.

Common tools are not cheap, and uncommon specialty tools are usually way more than 20 bucks,

RLW thanks for the link

Greg....

The stewmac tool fits the usa and the "common" metric knurl - but know that there are MANY metric knurls out there

another way to make that nutdriver is to do an epoxy cast of it (easy)

There have been reports (verified) on the LPF that the stewmac tool is pretty easily "stripped" , but also stewmac is great about replacing it

For epoxy casting - there is no better material than Brownells AccraGlass Gel, which comes as a kit with release agent.

Alfang said:
I dont think it's overpriced at all, I'd rather pay 20 bucks for the right tool , than to spend a week fixing a scratched or chipped paint job.

Good point.

-CB- said:
Greg....

The stewmac tool fits the usa and the "common" metric knurl - but know that there are MANY metric knurls out there

another way to make that nutdriver is to do an epoxy cast of it (easy)

There have been reports (verified) on the LPF that the stewmac tool is pretty easily "stripped" , but also stewmac is great about replacing it

For epoxy casting - there is no better material than Brownells AccraGlass Gel, which comes as a kit with release agent.
Interesting about casting a tool. Not sure if the frequency of need warrants the effort, especially if the next such nut I end up using is a different size. If there isn't an adjustale wrench of sorts on the market already, perhaps we've run across a million dollar idea here.

Actually.....

There is a bit of an adjustable wrench.  Sort of.

There is an item called a friction collar spanner.  Its used in camera repair, under various special purpose names, in optical instrument repair, specifically on external fittings where a degree of oomph is desired in their removal.

Notably, the eyepiece and shutter release on the Leica M series cameras use these, and their proper use divides the pros from hacks in that regard.

Also notably, there are various designs, and like the Star Wars Jedi Knight's light sabre, a Leica camera repairman is supposed to be able to make his own tools from scratch.

The basic tool has a brass ring, with a split and small gap at one end.  There are various means of closing the gap such that the ring fits the smooth nut quite tightly, and then the tool is used to get the nut loose or tight.  Imagine it a near-circular jawed pliers of sorts.  The tension is spread on a smooth surface across the entire nut - and it neither slips nor deforms the part.

As for paint chips, scratches etc.  I just lay a bit of tape down so the tool will hit the tape - should I slip.

The problem with an adjustable tool - is that the knurling varies in shape, number of knurls, space between knurls, and overall diameter. 

Back