Toneport and latency

I recently had an attempted "recording session" just to mess around with a few fellow musicians and tried using both my computer (internet completely killed), and both my parent's laptops (both of which are quite new, dual core, and have 2 GBs ram), and had the same issue with all of them. I think the problem is probably with my cheapness and not going for "real" recording software. So I'm gonna work on that and if that doesn't solve things, I'll have to go head and drop a few hundred dollars on better recording stuff (where I'll get that, I have no idea)... though many of you have said that the Toneport worked well...  :dontknow:.

Justinginn said:
I recently had an attempted "recording session" just to mess around with a few fellow musicians and tried using both my computer (internet completely killed), and both my parent's laptops (both of which are quite new, dual core, and have 2 GBs ram), and had the same issue with all of them. I think the problem is probably with my cheapness and not going for "real" recording software. So I'm gonna work on that and if that doesn't solve things, I'll have to go head and drop a few hundred dollars on better recording stuff (where I'll get that, I have no idea)... though many of you have said that the Toneport worked well...  :dontknow:.

Well, it sounds to me like you may have a common issue between the three systems, but without additional information it is very difficult to say what the problem is.  I would contact Line6 support long before I started shelling out big buckage.  What happens if you blow the money for more stuff and you still have the same problem?  I know from experience how frustrating that can be.  This can be very complicated to troubleshoot, especially when you have similar software packages installed on all the machines or similar configuration settings on all the machines.  I'm thinking it is one of these two things.

You might be able to eliminate your recording software as a possible source of the issue by using Windows Sound Recorder.  If you try recording with it and notice big latency problems then you know it's an issue with the device instead of the software.

JBD

Latency is almost never a software issue, and almost always a hardware issue.  Back in the good 'ol days of analog recording, the signal left your guitar (or mic, DI, whatever), went through the console, then the recorder, and back to your headphones at the speed of light.  Nowadays in our digital world, the same trip happens at the "speed of processing".  Unless you're listening to live through-put, ALL digital boxes will be affected by latency, because every time the signal goes through an A/D conversion, it takes time.  Most home recording systems will offer latencies of between 64 to 128 samples as the lowest option.  Nobody will ever notice that.  However, as you start adding tracks (drums, bass, synth), the computer's processing power is split between playing those tracks back, recording your live signal, then spitting the whole affair back out to your headphones.

Here are a few tips:

Every software/hardware combo out there has a latency setting somewhere in the preferences menu.  Check that first.
Overly high buffer settings can sometimes cause more problems than they solve, it's usually best to keep them at the factory default.
Make sure your computer is doing as little work as possible other than recording your music ... turn off everything that you don't need.  In fact, you may even want to create a system boot-up profile that ignores things like the internet port, wi-fi cards, or any other goodies you may have that will take away from the CPU.
If you find your sessions are getting a little track-heavy, and that is what's causing the latency, try bouncing everything to a "temp mix" of 2 mono or 1 stereo track, and record to that.  You can then import those tracks with everything else when you're ready to mix.

Good luck!

The latency issue is something that routinely bites me with ProTools.  I have to go and set the buffer size to very small when recording, and crank it up for mixing and nuts and bolts type stuff.  I tend to forget and have the session stop about 5 seconds in.  Annoying, but it is my fault.  But, I have to change those settings all of the time, and it doesn't sound like anyone has mentioned where those settings are on the toneport.  I would search around and see if anything comes up in the Toneport software, mess with them and see what happens.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
...But, I have to change those settings all of the time, and it doesn't sound like anyone has mentioned where those settings are on the toneport.

Yes, which is why I suggested contacting support...  I have suffered through these problems frequently and usually find them to be a problem in the software configuration, but I have to go to the manufacturer or software developer to get it set up correctly.  Typically, I can find what I need on some FAQ section of the mfg's site.  Occasionally, I've had to google something like +[recording software name] +[hardware device name] +latency.  For example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2Btoneport+%2Blatency+%2Bkrystal

Interesting that the link above pulls up this very thread...  But it generally depends on the popularity of the hardware and software configuration as to how difficult it is to find the answer.

I searched the Line6 site and here's what I found:

http://line6.com/support/kbsearch.jspa?parentCatID=1&searchQuery=toneport+latency

But I think there's still a lot of things to look through before throwing in the towel.

JBD

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm definately gonna read up...
About buffer settings, etc, tho... I thoroughly messed with them before starting the post.
My friend's dad thinks my computer is too slow... but that really doesn't make sense. The separate "recording" boot up settings sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna work on that and still try to get things figured out on my computer, but I thought switching machines would solve everything...

But since krystal is free software, I may just be expecting too much out of it. But I'll read and experiment more before I buy anything.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Justinginn said:
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm definately gonna read up...
About buffer settings, etc, tho... I thoroughly messed with them before starting the post.
My friend's dad thinks my computer is too slow... but that really doesn't make sense. The separate "recording" boot up settings sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna work on that and still try to get things figured out on my computer, but I thought switching machines would solve everything...

But since krystal is free software, I may just be expecting too much out of it. But I'll read and experiment more before I buy anything.

Thanks for the help, guys.

That's what I did for my computer ... and I run ProTools LE.  When the computer isn't "occupied" with other tasks, it'll record and play back much more efficiently.

A lot of the things mentioned before are brilliant.

Another issue I can think of is to check out the assignment of the signal (signal flow) as it goes from analog into the ADA then into the PC and then hard drive.

I had a latency issue and found that I had a pre installed sound card (built in soundcard on the mother board) that I had to totally disable to get the external (and better quality) ADA box to pass the sounds into the system quick enough. Check what may be confusing the CPU with the signal path. If you have two sound replication sources (an ADA box AND an internal soundcard) maybe disable the internal soundcard chip so the ADA box has free rein.

BTW, by saying 'disabling' I'm referring to going to the Properties of that piece of hardware and unchecking it, stoppin git operating. I'm not meaning to open the case find the relevant chip and somehow pull it off the motherboard (though I felt like doing that at the time  :evil4:).

Turns out it was a software issue... Someone on the forum suggested Reaper to someone else who was having recording issues and I decided to give it a try. Works like a charm with as many tracks as I want, even recording two at a time.  :icon_jokercolor: And it works great even with Firefox open and skype running.

Back