Tonar finished Honeyburst LP

JaySwear

It's finally finished! And I've gotta say, it plays better than any Gibson I've tried. It might not sound like a big all-mahogany LP (mine has no mahogany at all), but it does sound great! Its been in the works for a long time, but totally worth it.

Body: Black korina body with a two piece maple cap
thin one piece maple veneer over that (maybe 1/8" thick)
stunning finish by our very own Tonar

Neck: maple neck with ebony fretboard
ebony peghead veneer
finish by Tonar (feels great!)

Pickups: SD '59 neck in the bridge and a Seth Lover neck model in the neck. The 59 sounds really good in the bridge, despite it being designed for the neck position. Great balance between these two pickups. A wiring kit from RS Guitarworks.

Pictures!

My original idea
7570050662_5ef003b9ab_z.jpg

And the finished product
8056790634_b9d90e845d_c.jpg

8056789893_c6947dce75_z.jpg
8056790890_0c8e4c8bb0_z.jpg
8056789589_b720ca65af_z.jpg
8056790780_7edd22f063_z.jpg

:icon_biggrin: Couldn't be happier! Like the Warmoth addict that I am I had already started to plan my next build, but now I don't know what the hell I want! :icon_scratch: This thing covers a whole lot of bases. Looks like my next purchase better be an amp to keep up!

Also, the finish really changes depending on the angle and the light. I'll try to get out my real camera and get some decent shots sometime soon, but it's sunny for the first time in a few days, so I decided I'd better get some pictures now. Hope you enjoy!

That's just an absolute knockout-ninja-killer! :hello2: :blob7: :icon_thumright:

That is a very cool piece indeed!!!  I would be proud to rock that girl  :headbang1:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

JaySwear said:
I've gotta say, it plays better than any Gibson I've tried.

I've gotta say, it looks bucket loads better than a Gibo

Oh man, I bet your very very happy with that, looks superb indeed.  :eek:
Another great finish by Tonar  :hello2:

What next ? 
I hear you ask .......  :dontknow:  you got a Bass  :icon_biggrin:

Wow. words cannot express how great that is, so here's my reaction:
michaelmoonwalking.gif

with just a little bit of
tumblr_lo3ny2jeyd1qf2lpz.gif

Jay,
It looks great put together!

I always consider it privilege to be trusted with a piece of wood like that; thank you for sending it my way. The burst is really subtle on that guitar and it is so cool to see it change as you look at the guitar from different angles.

Great conceptualization and completion on that one Jay!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
So glad you went with this pickup cover and ring color combo.  Though it's hard to imagine anything that wouldn't have looked nice.

Agreed. I think it would look great with black bobbins too, but the all cream pickups might have been a little much. I think it looks perfect as is.

Although, (don't hate me UW) if I had a choice the back would be mahogany :sad1: I'm not a huge fan of the look of black korina. Certainly doesn't bother me, but I love a good piece of mahogany. Oh well :icon_biggrin: you get what you get in the showcase! And I love everything else about the guitar. I can get over an imperfect aesthetic gripe with the way this thing feels, sounds, and looks.

There's nothing to regret there.  My regret with a few builds is that they've been too close to what they're based on, not custom enough.  Tonewise, BK is close enough.  Mahogany LPs are a dime a dozen.  Visually, the BK adds that custom touch that makes yours stand out.

Make something beautiful for Cagey that I can buy from him when he gets upset with it later!

Back