Time For Tea

stratamania

Mythical Status
Its just an hour or so past 3pm in the UK, which means its around time for Tea. 

I had been thinking about trying a 59 contour neck but before getting an exotic wood one I thought I would try one out of the showcase.  I thought I will just put it on an old tele body I have lying around which isn't all that good and go from there. But anyway I ended up ordering some other bits and pieces and a full build is about to start. Here are the out of the box shots.

A body and neck box...

Tele_OOB_1 by stratamania, on Flickr

The neck out of the box,  59 profile, maple and rosewood with SS6100s and an Earvana Graphtech Tusq nut.

Tele_OOB_2 by stratamania, on Flickr

Close up of the headstock.

Tele_OOB_3 by stratamania, on Flickr

Close up of the heel. And the skunk stripe reminds me it is a Vintage Modern this time.

Tele_OOB_4 by stratamania, on Flickr

Back of the headstock

Tele_OOB_5 by stratamania, on Flickr

An overview of the parts ordered from Warmoth.

Tele_OOB_6 by stratamania, on Flickr

One piece swamp ash body, 3Ibs 11oz as I recall.

Tele_OOB_7 by stratamania, on Flickr

Back of the body...

Tele_OOB_8 by stratamania, on Flickr

A couple of neck in place shots just to get a feel of the overall future look.

Tele_OOB_9 by stratamania, on Flickr

Tele_OOB_10 by stratamania, on Flickr

From other suppliers sourced more locally a set of Seymour Duncan Vintage noiseless,  strings, strap loks, 4 Way Tele Switch, some white felt washers.

Tele_OOB_11 by stratamania, on Flickr

My machine heads will be Hipshot open gear GripLok locking tuners, currently clearing customs so should be with me soon.  No supplier in Europe that I am aware of that has a comprehensive range...

The headstock logo is late but I may or may not bother with one.  I have a neck plate in the drawer somewhere and so far haven't thought of something to have on a custom plate.

Planned finish, natural satin nitro for the body, and the neck headstock also satin nitro and the rest tru-oil.

Thanks for looking chaps... now off for tea. What am I doing with a Tele?

EDIT: The build thread for this set of parts is available here.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23725.msg347035#msg347035

Slackjaw said:
Tea time indeed! I expected to see something tea-stained...

Tea stain ? Now that could be an interesting finish, not sure if I would want to try it on this one.

Tea has largely been supplanted in modern industrial countries by aniline dyes, which are much faster, more consistent in their behavior, and easier to control.

But tea undoubtedly tastes much better.

Tea is also used as a pre-treat when using the vinegar/iron form of ebonizing on woods that naturally have low tanins.

stratamania said:
...anyway I ended up ordering some other bits and pieces and a full build is about to start.

Funny how that works sometimes  :laughing7:

Nice stack o' parts!

Cagey said:
stratamania said:
...anyway I ended up ordering some other bits and pieces and a full build is about to start.

Funny how that works sometimes  :laughing7:

Nice stack o' parts!

Thanks Cagey,

And yes a most odd phenomenon. I think I picked the idea up from my wife whose technique is to buy X to go with Y that she already has. Now X has been bought it would also go with Z but in order to go with Z she now needs A otherwise X and Z have a missing ingredient which will be A.  :icon_biggrin:

Hate to be a party pooper, but you do know that Alder bodies are for Rosewood necks, right? Ash bodies are for Maple necks.Suhr  won't make a Ash/ Rosewood neck guitar, because claims of too much "sizzle". I concur. Leo had it right.Not to belabor the point, but form follows function and Ash/ Rosewood is just wrong IMHO ( notwithstanding the awful  Ash / Rosewood '70's Strats and Teles).

@arealken

I do know about which materials traditionally have tended to be used together. Originally Fender used nothing but Ash, and later alder for bodies. Most things Fender did were for ease of production and cost rather than in accordance with some "tonewood" recipe.

What about solid color bodies made of alder with maple necks, are those "wrong" too.

So as far as what Fender did, I did not build this tele to be true to some idea of tradition and because of what Leo did.

I have a lot of respect for John Suhr, but like everyone, he has his preferences as I do myself. I own one of his amps and a pedal. But again I do not work for Suhr, though I know someone who does.

The tele in this thread does not demonstrate this so called sizzle. Even if it did, it is my guitar.

This thread is three years old apart from me posting to say the photos had been updated recently. I really don't know why you would spend the time to make these comments at all.

But if you would really like me to build an ash and maple combination if you sponsor it and time and materials I will build it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this. It'll be a cool guitar.

stratamania said:

I say…

"I got nasty habits
I take tea at three:

[youtube]Vy9bicKwDBU[/youtube]

Thanks, guys, but this thread is over three years old. It got resurrected back in August by arealken making a comment on "tonewood" recipes.

DocNrock said:
I think that will be a great build, Jon.

Thanks, Doc, nice to see you on the forum...I might rebuild it at some point and change some things.

Rgand said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this. It'll be a cool guitar.

The build thread for it is in my signature if you want to take a look. I updated all the photos from Photobucket to Flickr, so its all there.

amigarobbo said:
stratamania said:

I say…

"I got nasty habits
I take tea at three:

Funnily enough this Tele has spent more time in Open G or DADGAD than standard, and some Stones stuff has definitely been played on it.

Back