Timbermate Grain Filler?

Strat Avenger

What is the prefered grain filler to use for a swamp ash body? Timbermate? Or something else?
I will be getting a polyurethane paint job.

I've used it before to good effect, but as I recall it was a bit thick. You may want to thin it a bit before using it. Another one you may want to consider is "Crystallac". If you're going to be using a clear or translucent finish of any kind, that stuff has the advantage of filling clear or being easily tinted.

Whatever you land on, be sure to mix it well before using. There are a lotta solids in grain filler that tend to separate. You don't want it too thick or it won't fill in the fine grains. Also, don't be concerned if the first coat doesn't fill as thoroughly as you want. Some woods, such as Ash or Mahogany, may need 2 or even 3 coats before the surface is smooth. I even put on a coat of or two of "seal and sand" to finalize the fine fill so it's smooth enough to be a good base. Fine finishes are all a bout prep. Skimp then, and it'll haunt you all the way to final results.

You definitely want to thin the Timbermate quite a bit - like, down to a nearly-melted-ice-cream consistency.  Because there's a lot of water in it at that point, yes, it's likely to shrink a little, necessitating a second or third or even a fourth application.  The neutral takes a tint well, if you are using it under a clear or tinted translucent coat, but no need to tint if you're using it under an opaque color.

+1 on the Crystalac.  I've seen it used on headstocks, underneath a clear, and it looks like glass.  I'm going to use it on my next neck.

You can search youtube for videos by Highline guitars. He is a luthier that has a lot of videos on finishing. He has covered Crystalac a few times.

Michael

I like Old Masters too and it can be tinted as well.  SMELLS FANTASTIC!  Maybe too good. :laughing8:

My wife always complains when I use timber mate.  She thinks is smaller like dog $H!T.  ??? :dontknow:
https://www.hardwareworld.com/pec0rr1/Interior-Woodgrain-Filler-Natural-Quart?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImr_Jw8Si4QIVVFgNCh3IuQ46EAYYCCABEgJQtvD_BwE

DMRACO said:
I like Old Masters too and it can be tinted as well.  SMELLS FANTASTIC!  Maybe too good. :laughing8:

My wife always complains when I use timber mate.  She thinks is smaller like dog $H!T.  ??? :dontknow:
https://www.hardwareworld.com/pec0rr1/Interior-Woodgrain-Filler-Natural-Quart?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImr_Jw8Si4QIVVFgNCh3IuQ46EAYYCCABEgJQtvD_BwE

Would that work under a polyurethane paint?

Street Avenger said:
DMRACO said:

Would that work under a polyurethane paint?

Sure.  I have used under poly clear.

Depending on what you are going and how deep the grain is...Shellac works as well.  Load up a couple coats and sand smooth.

Planning a see-thru finish. It may get a coat of clear before the color coat goes on. It's a basecoat-clearcoat.

Back