WG4.jpg

WW4.jpg

WW2.jpg

WarmothJakeELee.jpg

WarmothshortscaleStrat.jpg

WarmothPirate003.jpg

WarmothPirate005.jpg

WarmothPirate004.jpg

Really cool stuff. The two strats are like the idea for my current project split in two.

Nice collection Axe, I really dig the white one especially, ( Im pretty traditional in flavors ) but think the painted one is very unique and wild looking, especially the headstock, neat Idea............Love the Floyds, something I still need .........Man, I need some new guitars,,,,,, :sad:
gotta get my finances in order, you guys with the multiples are drivin me bonkers........ :laughing7:

Thanks guys :icon_biggrin:

The Pirate guitar was one that I acquired already done.. The Ebony fretboard plays unbelievably well.. :headbang:

The White Strat is a short scale conversion neck..

And just for kicks I've had the BEM neck on the Walnut stained strat on the White strat for a brief period of time..

Here's what that looked like
Level5009.jpg

That's a weird coincedence as well, I'm going to get a conversion neck for my current project, but maple fretboard with the CBS headstock.

Keep in mind that there is a fretboard extension so as to move everything towards the bridge for intonation on the short scale conversion necks,, This affects two things

1) The 22nd fret becomes almost unusable because of reach.

2) If you are planning on mating that conversion neck to a Rear rout H X H body with pickup rings then the fretboard extension will not allow installation of the neck pickup..  I ordered The Walnut stained body with the HXH pup configuration  specifically for the rosewood conversion neck. I even called Warmoth to make sure there would be no issue with the fretboard extension and neck pickup/mounting ring.. They said "No problem".. I'm here to tell ya there IS a problem :tard: So keep that in mind with a conversion neck selection :icon_thumright:

I was thinking about originally getting a 24 fret extension till I read you had to pay extra to move the pickup back a tiny bit. WTF. :icon_scratch:

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Appreciate the info Axe, in regard to the conversion neck pickup routes.
I was kinda wondering how a conversion neck was able to be true to itself tonewise but still work
on a 25 1/2 scale guitar,
I guess the playabilty or lack there of in some respects is the reason, ...bummer, also explains why
Gibson uses the set neck construction, ( Im thinking ) to allow for the fret access of the short scale length.????
How does it feel as far as playabilty compared to the traditional strat?????
Man I love this knew forum, so much cooler............by the way Cool to see ya Axe.. :eek:ccasion14:

Axe said:
2) If you are planning on mating that conversion neck to a Rear rout H X H body with pickup rings then the fretboard extension will not allow installation of the neck pickup..  I ordered The Walnut stained body with the HXH pup configuration  specifically for the rosewood conversion neck. I even called Warmoth to make sure there would be no issue with the fretboard extension and neck pickup/mounting ring.. They said "No problem".. I'm here to tell ya there IS a problem :tard: So keep that in mind with a conversion neck selection :icon_thumright:
Axe, have you called us with this problem one on one? It would be very strange that we have never had a problem before since we have done this particular configuration as a standard option for many years.

CD - When we have to move the neck pickup, it has to come off our CNC and is done by hand. The extra charge is extra USA labor cost.

When you want 24 frets, it does make sense to move from a Strat type body to a Soloist or VW body. These body styles do allow more access to the high frets.

I could have swore you had to move the pickup for a Soloist body as well.

Maybe I'm being a goof.  :laughing7:

Superbeast520 said:
I was kinda wondering how a conversion neck was able to be true to itself tonewise but still work
I guess the playabilty or lack there of in some respects is the reason, ...bummer, also explains why
Gibson uses the set neck construction, ( Im thinking ) to allow for the fret access of the short scale length.????
Man I love this knew forum, so much cooler............by the way Cool to see ya Axe.. :eek:ccasion14:

As far as playability compared to a normal strat,, It's a different animal.. There are parts of the fretboard I love playing on and parts that well,,not so much :glasses10:
It does play somewhat like a LP but sounds more like a strat.  The instrument IS growing on me :headbang: Good to see you here too man :headbang:

Greg,, I pulled that particular body (Walnut Stained) from the Showcase.. I selected a HXH pup configuration.. After thinking about it I became concerned about the fretboard extension encroaching upon the neck pickup so I called and voiced my concerns and said that if there would be a conflict then I'd prefer to just drop the neck pup.. I was assured that there would be no issue.. Now don't get me wrong.. I'm NOT upset at all.. Just tossing info out that may help someone else..

If you look closely at the pics of the White & Brown guitars above and compare where the fretboard extensions end in relation to the neck pickups you will see what I am referring to. No way does the Rosewood conversion neck fit the Walnut stained Alder body without encroaching on the neck pickup.. The BEM fretboard extension bumps right against the pickup ring and the conversion neck fretboard extension slides approximately 3/8" more towards the bridge.... Again,, I'm not upset at all.. Just pointing out what happened :icon_thumright:

CD said:
I could have swore you had to move the pickup for a Soloist body as well.

Maybe I'm being a goof.  :laughing7:

I thought so as well?? :icon_scratch:

Actually, I think I'm going to order a new pickguard for the white strat in the same color but with only 2 control holes. One in the center position for a Vol pot and a larger LP style 2 way where the existing tone knob is.. The same layout as on the Brown strat.. I never use a tone knob so its pointless :toothy11:

Axe said:
Superbeast520 said:
I guess the playabilty or lack there of in some respects is the reason, ...bummer, also explains why

As far as playability compared to a normal strat,, It's a different animal.. There are parts of the fretboard I love playing on and parts that well,,not so much :glasses10:
It does play somewhat like a LP but sounds more like a strat.  The instrument IS growing on me :headbang: Good to see you here too man :headbang:

Greg,, I pulled that particular body (Walnut Stained) from the Showcase.. I selected a HXH pup configuration.. After thinking about it I became concerned about the fretboard extension encroaching upon the neck pickup so I called and voiced my concerns and said that if there would be a conflict then I'd prefer to just drop the neck pup.. I was assured that there would be no issue.. Now don't get me wrong.. I'm NOT upset at all.. Just tossing info out that may help someone else..

If you look closely at the pics of the White & Brown guitars above and compare where the fretboard extensions end in relation to the neck pickups you will see what I am referring to. No way does the Rosewood conversion neck fit the Walnut stained Alder body without encroaching on the neck pickup.. The BEM fretboard extension bumps right against the pickup ring and the conversion neck fretboard extension slides approximately 3/8" more towards the bridge.... Again,, I'm not upset at all.. Just pointing out what happened :icon_thumright:

For a 24 fret extension, a neck pickup reposition is needed for any guitar wishing to have a traditiona neck humbucker pickup. Soloist and VWs included. The lower cutaway of these two other body style examples are deeper giving more room for your hand than a Strat to reach the added frets.

Here is a picture of a 22 fret, 24 3/4" scale Conversion neck put fret to fret with a standard 22 fret 25 1/2" scale neck. You'll note the heel and fretboard end in about the same position. The necks are meant as interchangeable on any standard body including if that body has our standard humbucker rout.

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

It's entirely possible I am not fully understanding what you are describing, so if this is the case, please accept my I appologies. I'll keep trying.

Again,,, not trying to be argumentative or confrontational.. I stress that I'm NOT upset :icon_biggrin:

Maybe these 2 pics will illustrate what I'm talking about.. Sorry for the lousy picture quality but they are both necks mounted on the same body.. Clearly the fretboard extensions stop in different places..

Level5009_edited.jpg

Level5020.jpg

I dunno how to explain it :icon_scratch: But there it is and I've had no problems intonation either :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
I'm happy with all three guitars.. The Pirate was acquired possibly for wall art,, but it plays too well :glasses10:

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bitching either. I haven't even bought my neck yet, so I have nothing to complain about! :toothy12:

CD - Crud, I deleted one of your comments trying to respond to it. (Sorry about that) Your question was asking why we don't program for the neck pickup reposition on the CNC. We've done hundreds of them over the years though that is still a relatively low number and there are more pressing things at the top of the programming priority list. I wouldn't be surprised if one day it will be programmed but it may be a while off.

Axe - Not sure what to make of what you are experiencing but what I have found with all of my conversion neck builds (2 of which are on this forum - the SG and LP) there were no issues with the standard neck humbucker position in the bodies in regards to using a mounting ring and having enough room. We haven't received any other customer calls about it and I emailed the guy that programmed it and he confirms that was one of the many criteria taken into account when designing that neck. I know you're not complaining or ranting, but I do feel bad I can't offer much in the way of insight to what is going on.

On Monday I'll look at your pictures again here and do some comparisons with actual parts at Warmoth and see if anything comes to light. Thanks for taking the time to discuss it.

Ah. I just kinda assumed the demand for the pickup route was higher than it is I guess.

Hey Greg, Thanks for the pics, like they say worth a thousand words, Im looking into building a Gib Style so I want to go with the conversion neck, but having little experience I've had a few questions and wonders, but the pics answer all those so much appreciated. :laughing3: love all the cool icons..........really neat... :toothy10:

Oh, I put up new pics on my guitar posting as well as made some minor cosmetic changes to the Beast.....

Superbeast520 said:
Hey Greg, Thanks for the pics, like they say worth a thousand words, Im looking into building a Gib Style so I want to go with the conversion neck, but having little experience I've had a few questions and wonders, but the pics answer all those so much appreciated. :laughing3: love all the cool icons..........really neat... :toothy10:

Oh, I put up new pics on my guitar posting as well as made some minor cosmetic changes to the Beast.....

I don't think anyone has used this guy yet:  :blob7:    But I thought it was pretty funny. We need smileys that play guitars and basses don't we?

Back