Thoughts on my next project (comments welcome!)

vanstry

So, the 'cursed bass' project has been done for a while now, and honestly? The thing sounds amazing, now that it's broken in. It's become my 'main bass' and I rarely pick up the others. Now I'm in the middle of moving cross country (I have a lot of stuff, this is an epic undertaking for me after living in the same house for ten years), but I'm starting to think of the next project.

One thing I'm considering is a jazz bass, though I'm thinking of just a clear finish with a nice piece of wood underneath. One thought is a Rosewood body, so it matches the neck. Any opinions on that?

Another thought is to make another P-Bass, but to cut the body into a design, instead of the standard P-bass shape. Mostly because I know someone who plays bass who would appreciate it, if I can come up with a good lion head design for the body.

In the case of the first idea, what are your favorite woods for an unpainted bass, both for tone quality and visual appeal?

Thanks.

Well.... rosewood is heavy as hell, and twice as expensive.

How about an alder body with something nice on top?

What Aircap said (or perhaps swamp ash with a nice top - if you choose a transparent finish you'll have "nicer" grain on the back).

I would also highly recommend that you give Warmoth's paint department a chance.
I'm sure you won't find better result for the cost. That will lessen the chance of your next bass becoming another "cursed" bass.  :icon_thumright:
Why, there are some lovelies (in my opinion) in the showcase right now:

BP3108a.jpg

BP2927a.jpg

BP3445a.jpg

BP3456a.jpg

Probably be beautiful, but a rosewood bass would weigh alot.
As for unpainted woods, with interesting tone, I think you mean clear coat and something that doesn't soak up tone, so for a bass, I'd go with chambered korina, chambered roasted alder or chambered swamp ash.

Probably add a roasted flame maple neck with an ebony fretboard.

Back