Thinline with TV Jones for jazzy tone

I've got both; would suggest a Korina L5S body with Rosewood neck. Never used TV Jones PUs, a Rio Grande BuffaloBucker or SD 59 or Jazz set would work as well.

TV Jones Pickups are outstanding.  I have a Warmoth LP with a TV jones classic plus in the bridge.  It is a great sounding pickup.  It sparkles when clean and growls with some gain.  Everytime I play that guitar I am impressed.

If I would do it again I'd go for the thinline.  The Warmoth L5S just never did it for me.  I'd just like it to be more like an ES335.

The P90 would be a completely different sound from the TV Jones pickups.  TV Jones will have the Gretsch sparkle-- sort of bright without a lot of mids.  I am sure you know the P90 sound.  Both are great.  I say build them both...  That is how I solve these sorts of problems.

If you're after a great warm jazzy tone go for a P-90 in the neck position - I've got one in my Les Paul (mahogany body helps!) & my "serious jazz" mates can't believe the rich tone. Sounds great dirty too

Yes I think a P90 suits me needs more, for now

although the TV Jones project isn't getting away  :icon_biggrin:

Back