thinline with fatback neck unbalanced?

David

Just wondering if anyone has tried a thinline with fatback neck.  I was worried about it being "neck heavy."  I was going to use a swamp ash body and a maple neck.

David said:
Just wondering if anyone has tried a thinline with fatback neck.  I was worried about it being "neck heavy."  I was going to use a swamp ash body and a maple neck.
One thing you can do is ask for a "Hard" Ash body. That will give you a bit more body weight for the Thinline resonance/vibe that you're going for.

I have a fatback neck in my thinline, it's not neck heavy.

Specs:
Mahogany body 4lbs 2oz
Vintage Modern construction: Goncalo Alves neck - Pau Ferro fretboard.

I have exactly that combo, with 2 P-90s and no, it is not at all neck heavy, it is perfect.  Thinlines rule.

As Gregg mentioned, Northern Ash is probably the solution to counter balance the Fatback maple neck.  This was the wood of choice when Tele Thinlines came into the market under CBS Fender.  Try also to reduce the neck's weight by using lighter tuners such as vintage style Klusons. Using a heavier bridge (if you are not totally into period correct specs) may also add more weight to the body.

I Don't have a thinline, but I do have an extra light weight tele with a boatneck with heavy locking tuners.

It's not neck heavy.  It's got quite a nice balance.

I have one too.. korina thinline with fatback goncalo neck! very nicely balanced.

Back