Thinking about strat that doesn't sound stratty

Most of the time, the correct term for standard dual coil humbuckers using one coil is "split". Though the split is between two coils, so when a humbucker is split it has "split" between coils rather than an actual "coil-split".

There are exceptions to standard humbucker construction. Joe Barden Two Tone humbuckers which have a six conductor + shield cable. The "single coil" tone is achieved by a tap of both coils, compared to the full winds when in full humbucker. Another example, EMG Dual modes such as the 89 or 81TW which have three coils, two are used side by side in humbucker mode, and two are used stacked in single coil mode.

Coil-split. Turns one coil off. Guitar pickup coils are never "tapped" (part of a coil used).
;)
I have Humbuckers that are technically tapped. One of the 2 coils is tapped.
So rather than split the 2 coils, it takes the tap of the other (rather than totally doing away with it. )

I have Humbuckers that are technically tapped. One of the 2 coils is tapped.
So rather than split the 2 coils, it takes the tap of the other (rather than totally doing away with it. )
I’ve had an idea in my head for a long time to do a multi tap Humbucker. One coil at ~4.5k, second coil at ~4.5k and ~8k. In Humbucker mode you’d use the 2 4.5k taps and in split mode you’d use the 8k tap. Of course to get 8k on a bobbin you’d need to be using 43 or 44 gauge I believe which isn’t the classic PAF or Strat tone.

I also think that this is how the PRS partial split and Fender Double Tap Humbuckers work now.

I do both. For humbuckers I use "coil-split" to get a brighter tone, and then "tap" with screwdriver to check which coil is operating.

Not to change the subject, but I don't care for coil splitting. I much prefer the sound of a humbucker wired in parallel.
Unless it is a pickup designed specifically for getting a good tapped/split sound, I haven't really sparked to split humbucker sound. YMMV.

I’ve had an idea in my head for a long time to do a multi tap Humbucker. One coil at ~4.5k, second coil at ~4.5k and ~8k. In Humbucker mode you’d use the 2 4.5k taps and in split mode you’d use the 8k tap. Of course to get 8k on a bobbin you’d need to be using 43 or 44 gauge I believe which isn’t the classic PAF or Strat tone.

I also think that this is how the PRS partial split and Fender Double Tap Humbuckers work now.
Look up Zhangbucker pickups and Dave’s Splat option. HB design where both coils are would to normal HB wind strength. For the Splat option he taps one of the coils and adds it to the other full coil. Sounds much better than splitting.

He also does tapped SCs. Been thinking about getting 5 of them and a custom guard to build my own 513 style system.

Coil-split. Turns one coil off. Guitar pickup coils are never "tapped" (part of a coil used).
;)
Gotcha-

Sorry for the confusion, it's an HSH and there is literally a switch to turn on/off the middle single coil pup on otherwise LP style wiring- the H are Fluence classic, Fishman use the term "tap" instead of "split"...

For me, with that, and some other split option guitars that I've played (and recorded), I don't hear the the spanky stratty thing with non-strats that have split options. Or vice versa, I don't hear the non-spank in super strats. I know that spanky thing is just one aspect, but I'm pretty sure that's the aspect I'm looking for (to have one guitar with it, and another without).

I think I'm going to order a cheapo body with a swimming pool route and play with filling the cavity with something acoustically dense and see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes, probably a couple months out though.

Thanks so much, lots of great info here.

@RyanC , can you post a pic of it? Was it a standard EC-1000 that you had routed for the single? (None of this matters to the discussion, I’m just curious to see it!)

Fishman use the term "tap" instead of "split"...

In which case tap is more correct, as Fishman are not doing standard coils where one is split from the other. But again it is not really a tapped coil in the traditional sense as they do not have wound coils at all.

@RyanC , can you post a pic of it? Was it a standard EC-1000 that you had routed for the single? (None of this matters to the discussion, I’m just curious to see it!)
Yeah, here is the listing from when I bought it. I didn't do the mods, it was standard with the evertune bridge then routed for this pickup setup.

Super flexible, and the ET bridge is great for recording stacks if it's intonated for no-bending. I just wish I could get an ET bridge with 2 7/16 spacing...

Yeah, here is the listing from when I bought it. I didn't do the mods, it was standard with the evertune bridge then routed for this pickup setup.

Super flexible, and the ET bridge is great for recording stacks if it's intonated for no-bending. I just wish I could get an ET bridge with 2 7/16 spacing...
I’d like to try one sometime.

My favorite wide neck, darker toned Strat

HH with a Superwide Roasted Maple Strat Neck
Seymour Duncan SH-1n '59 Model Neck Humbucker
Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Model Bridge Trembucker

My previous build was an "Everything Strat" with HSH with mini-humbuckers

The full sized humbucker HH set-up sounds better to me

Back