There's a hole in my board that goes all the way to China..

fdesalvo

...and other rig-related gibbletry.

How can I get so worked up about a pedal and then be turned off to it within weeks?  Easy - doesn't work with the rig within the context of live application.  Still, this doesn't make me feel any better about my flip-flopping.  Nothing like losing $30 turning a pedal over on eBay or CL.

So, the Musket Fuzz is gone and not far behind is the BB Preamp...here's why - my damn amp sounds better than these pedals at stage volume. Still I have the need for a mild overdrive pedal, but the BB is annoying me in the same way the others have.  By others, I mean:

Fulltone FD-2
Blues Breaker Clone

Well, you may be asking, "What is it doing, Frank??  What is this annoying property you are referring to??  What is this 'thing'?!"

Regardless of pickup selected, I can hear a separate clean note above the overdriven note - almost the same sound you would get when you overdrive the input of a recording interface.  I also noticed a lack of midrange with the BB.  There is another version that addresses this, but I'm not willing to risk the money because of the more pressing issue.  The quest continues for an OD that doesn't do this. 

BTW, the Musket would pair well with a tube combo amp - the settings I like aren't stable at stage volume with a halfstack. 

Just ordered a Rivera Double Shaman Overdrive pedal.  Looks and sounds the tits!  This is will actually be able to use since we will be going overseas in June.  If all the backline company has is a Twin or JCM, then I'll be in biz.  I'll post up a review of it once I receive it next week.

Maybe look into an Fulltone OCD, a Zen Drive, or a Top Tone Light Drive?

I built clones of the first two and definitely like them better than your standard tube screamer variants.  Of course I have not tried them at high volumes.

Thanks, Crash. I happened into a demo of a G2D Cream Tone and took the leap. Im looking for a thick medium gain tone and that pedal seems to be it. The adventure is afoot. I'll check out those pedals you recommended in the meantime.

Be careful when looking at pedal demos from Andy at PGS or Burgerman on Youtube.  Every pedal sounds good when they use it.

Lol, right?  Andy rarely plays with a pick, as well.  Guy must have cement fingertips lol.

crash said:
Be careful when looking at pedal demos from Andy at PGS or Burgerman on Youtube.  Every pedal sounds good when they use it.

Back