The Wrecking Crew

ghotiphry

Unofficial questionnaire, if I say the words "The Wrecking Crew" or "The First Call Gang," name the name that first pops into your mind, and why.

For me, it's Carol Kaye.  The bass lines for "Sloop John B" or "Wichita Lineman" should be enough explanation.  Add a healthy dose of "Feelin' Alright" bass and it's a party.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoAO0851FwA[/youtube]

I'm generally not big on "reboots" of things, but Joe Cocker's version of that just romps.

Heh.  Not exactly where I was headed with this this, VB, but that's good stuff.  Does no one remember Steve Douglas or Bill Pitman?

Cagey said:
I'm generally not big on "reboots" of things, but Joe Cocker's version of that just romps.
Agree on both points: The only "Re-Boots" I ever took note of are my laptop, and router. And as for Joe Cocker, I think just about anything he did is outstanding!

ghotiphry said:
...Does no one remember Steve Douglas or Bill Pitman?
No, not really, but you can't go by me. Anyway, I'm thinking you didn't mean this guy, right?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdl653PqGAM[/youtube]
Don't think he even owns a saxophone....

I have to go with two names, Carol Kaye and Tommy Tedesco.  The thing about Carol is, she started out as a guitarist, in fact a dang good jazz guitarist. But one day the bass player didn't show up, and they had a brand new fangled Precision Bass so they ask her to play it and she turned out liking it.
Tommy Tedesco could play anything with strings on it, and was one of the greatest sight readers there ever was. And if they decided to change the key, he could transpose the whole thing in his head in real time. supposedly, the name wrecking crew came from the fact that they all refused to dress up fancy for the dates, so the studio heads all said thet they were going to wreck the business.

I think of The Beach Boys and I think it was carol on good vibrations.

I can't say whether for me Kaye or Blaine comes to mind first or not.

I love all of those session band collectives.
I can't imagine having a workday like that as a musician.
Though as a graphic designer I can almost relate.

Lots of great players and hits of course but I cannot say anything particularly stands out. I know they were a lose assortment of session players who played on many hits (which at the time was most of them).

No names popped in to my head when I read about ”The Wrecking Crew" or "The First Call Gang" as I (perhaps because I’m swedish) never had heard these names/phrases. But after reading the posts in this thread I too thought of a guitar player; Janne Schaffer. Many in Sweden are familiar with his name and even though you might not have heard of him, you probably have heard his playing. He played on many (all?) of ABBA’s songs and also on the records of many other swedish artists. In fact the swedish Wikipedia page mentions that he’s been featured on about 5000 recordings.
He’s also worked with Toto and Bob Marley!

[youtube] https://youtu.be/bJYRLlQ3gjg[/youtube]

Back