The ubiquitous Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - underwhelming

bagman67

Epic Member
Aloha, compadres.

So last year I picked up a very clean Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (version one, I'm pretty sure), only driven on Sundays, etc., for a very nice price from a woman who was selling off her late father's belongings. In particular, I wanted this amp because it has a decent spring reverb, and my Carvin lunchbox head has crap reverb. However, the Fender is also suffering from general gutlessness. It gets plenty loud, but the overdrive is underperforming - doesn't thicken up very well. The amp could be as much as 28 years old, so I can see it might need to be recapped; but before I go to the trouble of hauling it down to a shop, I figure I can do some non-destructive testing.

I believe I have a shiny, new 12AX7 around here, so I can try swapping it into the various preamp tube positions. I see a suite of replacement power and preamp tubes can be had for as low as about USD$115, but of course there are cork-sniffer sets for much more. Any thoughts on what to avoid, and what to look for? I don't buy tubes often enough to have a real clue. Anything else can I do without opening it up and potentially electrocuting myself?

Thanks in advance.

You guys rock.

Bagman

Hey Bagman, Aloha to you too!

The Hot Rod deluxe is just not a great circuit for overdrive, and the PCB construction makes it difficult to modify. If you want good overdrive, I suggest you put your money into a good overdrive pedal. That is, IMHO, a better investment than tube rolling for this amp.

For a 28 year old amp I would try a fresh set of tubes before anything. Then from there maybe caps? The Hot Rod is a staple of backline amps everywhere. It is a very nice pedal platform but the overdrive sections have always underwhelmed me. I have played all of the versions and while the V4 seems to be the best overdrive, its far from what can easily be had from a pedal or two.

The other thing I would do is swap out the speaker. I've had old combo's and after years of use the speakers wore out. (and even if it wasn't used alot, think about the age of the rubber?, that thing is going to dry out! like a car gasket after 25 years)

For a one by 12, I'd get an eminence swamp thing, it's something easy you can do yourself. And get the overdrive from a pedal. https://eminence.com/products/swamp_thang.
They describe it as having a heavy bottom end, but that's not true, what it does is the bottom does not get wobbly or woofy, and has plenty of headroom. I found it neutral and GEAAAT with pedals. I'm going to say it colors the sound less than say a Cannibis Rex.

Last edited:
I am gonna go against the grain here (sorta) and bet that the tubes are fine and so is the speaker (as long as you like its tone). Just get a quality drive or two and see what you think. The "overdrive" in those amps to me is ratty/ragged and unusable. (not ratty like a RAT pedal)

Hey Bagman, Aloha to you too!

The Hot Rod deluxe is just not a great circuit for overdrive, and the PCB construction makes it difficult to modify. If you want good overdrive, I suggest you put your money into a good overdrive pedal. That is, IMHO, a better investment than tube rolling for this amp.

100% agree. The HRDX OD/distortion sucks. It is a clean/pedal platform style amp.

I am gonna go against the grain here (sorta) and bet that the tubes are fine and so is the speaker (as long as you like its tone). Just get a quality drive or two and see what you think. The "overdrive" in those amps to me is ratty/ragged and unusable. (not ratty like a RAT pedal)

Exactly. Don't throw away money chasing tubes and speakers. It will never get you where you want to be w/ the HRDX.

The reason you see it in so many back lines is not because it's a "great" amp. It's because it's relatively cheap and multiple guitarists at a festival-style gig can just throw their pedalboard in front of it.

Thanks to everyone. I think I'll just go over to Mr. Mayfly's Reverb storefront and shop for an OD pedal.

excellent. I may have to wait a paycheck or two, since we just bought a house. But that's the one for me.

Back