The stupidest #1 Hollywood blockbuster ever?

stubhead

Master Member
"Section 9" is the biggest movie in America, it's rated at 88% at Rotten Tomatos, a compilation of movie critics reviews.... boy was it dumb. I know that when you watch a movie about aliens jumping around and blowing stuff up, you're supposed to "suspend disbelief", but it didn't even make any sense from an alien point of view. Nothing that anybody did had any reason to follow from any preceding actions, kinda the definition of "plot"... it was just an excuse to chase around and blow stuff up. "Rocky" was like Shakespeare in comparison - oh Hollywood, please make something I can watch.... :sad1:

I can't lie, I actually liked District 9.  But, I also love Mallrats.  So take that as you will.  I do agree that alot of movies are aiming for the lowest common denominator, though.  I will say that the Hangover rocked ass!

Did I mention that Smokey and the Bandit is my favorite movie?  So I'm not the best critic hehe.

I liked it a lot. The plot was shaky, yeah, but at least a lot of people got "exploded" with that crazy Explod-o Ray!
Me and the wife left that movie smiling.
You know how after the movie EVERYBODY goes to the restroom?...ALL the guys were saying how cool it was and ALL the ladies were sayig how icky it was

There were many holes for me.  Where did the alien weapons come from?  Weren't they ferried down in helicopters?  Why didn't we notice the weapons?  Why wasn't the mothership full of humans trying to reverse engineer it when it left?  Where was the rest of the world?  Why did the alien say he'd come back for Wikus?  Wasn't he in that whole predicament because of him, and worked against him as much as anyone?  He would've been gone already.

why does the fuel turn you into prawn? it took twenty years to get the amount of fuel they had, so why was there enough after spraying on wikus's face to take the ship to the top? also it went from mockumentary (which i thought was AWESOME) to a love action drama (which i hated)? thats horrible directormanshipness. or whatever. my friends are so stupid that they arent even talking to me because i thought it was such a godawful movie and they loved it. IT WAS TERRIBLE. and everyone who says "hollywood should take an example from this movie" should get shot and fired, whichever comes first. and a lot of critics said that.

I didn't like Transformers.
:dontknow:
Just saying.

Can't complain about Megan Fox, though.

Oh, try Directing. Instead of directormanshipness.

I actually think Transformers 2 is better than the first one. Obviously, "better" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They're both ridiculous and kinda stupid, but I think there's less in the sequel that needs to be taken out to make it, you know, decent. However, I wanted to gouge my eyes out with the straw on my $14, 3L Coke during the "mom & magic brownies" so-called "comedy sequence."

Max is right though. Can't complain about Megan Fox. 

ErogenousJones said:
I actually think Transformers 2 is better than the first one. Obviously, "better" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They're both ridiculous and kinda stupid, but I think there's less in the sequel that needs to be taken out to make it, you know, decent. However, I wanted to gouge my eyes out with the straw on my $14, 3L Coke during the "mom & magic brownies" so-called "comedy sequence."

Max is right though. Can't complain about Megan Fox. 

HER PANTS WERE CLEAN THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

smavridis said:
why does the fuel turn you into prawn? it took twenty years to get the amount of fuel they had, so why was there enough after spraying on wikus's face to take the ship to the top?

I thought the same thing.  That leads to me to believe the prawns were "made."  Also, I don't think he used all of it.  There was still enough to get him back.  But apparently, all he needed was enough to drive the system not the shuttle.  The mothership ended up sucking him up to it.  If the mothership still worked, and he was smart enough to drive it, why did he leave it to go to Distict 9, and why did it even stall on this backwater planet to begin with?  What about the gaping hole in the side of the ship we cut out?  Wouldn't that have to be repaired for the vacuum of space?

Details though.  I think it was more of a how we treat people kind of thing.  White man/Native American thing.  Even in the modern age, we could still this.  Stop them from reproducing, move them because they're a burden, lable them dumb.  I think that was the message.

Ok, so it didn't make any sense...neither did Transfromers and it was still fun to watch.
Indiana Jones would have just been vaporized in that stupid lead fridge, but it was still fun to watch.

We're missing the point about District 9...Explod-o Ray! :laughing3:
C'mon that thing was cool.
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I think it was more of a how we treat people kind of thing.  White man/Native American thing.  Even in the modern age, we could still this.  Stop them from reproducing, move them because they're a burden, lable them dumb.  I think that was the message.

I think so too.

Max said:
I didn't like Transformers.

I'm with you man.  I usually love action movies like that, but I almost fell asleep during the first one.  Went to see the second one in the theater because my gf liked the first...I wanted to leave half way through.  I like Bumblebee tho.  He's a cool dude.

so why was there enough after spraying on wikus's face to take the ship to the top?

Easy...they stopped at Pep Boys and got some NAAAAAAAWZ...

I think Hollywood movies are a lot like pop music.

If you want gold, you have to search for it yourself, not wait for it to be handed to you.

Last good movie I watched was "The Believer" and it was a Sundance Film Festival award winner.  Don't remember seeing it advertised on the big screen or anything though...

Well. I'm maybe not the best qualified either - the last truly great, transcendent movie I saw was "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" starring Wallace & Gromit. Maybe Hollywood just can't make Fine Art anymore, it takes foreigners. :laughing7:

Back