The Stubblecaster

Stubblecat

Started in February 2007 and finished in June, I've finally got around to uploading some pics.
I can never get photos that I like so I just decided to say 'the hell with it' and just upload the best I could do.
And yeah, I should have polished it a little before taking the pics, but hey, it's gonna get fingerprint-ey at some point.

Anyway...

The body is Mahogany, the top is Ziricote.
The neck is raw Ziricote, and I've noticed that the fingerboard darkens a bit as you play.  I like the effect.
Pickups are Kinman 60s Customs.

stubblecaster001.jpg

stubblecaster002.jpg

stubblecaster006.jpg

stubblecaster005.jpg

stubblecaster004.jpg

stubblecaster003.jpg

That raw neck back looks smooth as a baby's bottom. And a wonderful choice with the gold hardware.

I've never heard of those pickups though... Kinmans. How do you like 'em?

That's almost exactly how I want my future rear-routed Esquire to turn out. That's gorgeous.

Was that a showcase body? I swear that I recognize it.

I LIKE IT, but I think what that guitar needs is a white pearl pickguard - in the thinline hybrid shape (which works great on regular tele's too)

I had the top of this one bare....but was never really satisfied with it... it looked nice, but... in a way plain.  I added this some time before Vic got it.

cbtele5.jpg

I dunno... to me, the pickguard makes it look "finished" and offsets and compliments the visual presented by the body and neck.

Thanks for the kind words!

RLW asked if that was a Showcase body...  It sure was.  Both body and neck were picked out of the showcase.

nathan a asked about the Kinman pickups...  That's part of the reason it took 5 months to build the guitar.  I can't really put into words how this axe sounds...  The strings *should* be dead by now but every single day it sounds like I just put on a fresh set.  When I switch from bridge to neck it's like I'm playing 2 different guitars.  I'd almost call the pickups 'organic'.  I'd endorse Kinman pickups in a heartbeat.  They're worth the extra quid a thousand times over.
The raw Ziricote is medium smooth.  You can feel the wood as you play, but it doesn't add friction.

-CB- noted the lack of a pickguard...  A tortoiseshell pickguard was the original idea, but it is sort of a *busy* guitar to look at.  In the early designs I tried lining a pickguard up with it and the guard just ate away at the look of the wood grain and it completely covered the cool 'lightning bolt' mark between the pickups.  I will, however, admit that if I had the choice I would have gotten it rear-routed so the wood grain would be the complete focal point.  But that would have had to be a totally different body...  Oh, don't get me started...

Well that tele of Vics was a rear route.  It has great grain and a really birdseyed neck.  I dunno, just seemed like it was lacking something, as nice as the grain was, it didn't look complete, and I think, the pickguard actually makes you notice things more (sort of like naked babe vs one with a skimpy triangle n' buttfloss bikini). 

I know what you mean completely.  The pickguard just didn't work on this one though.  Odd how sometimes you can put a pickguard on a complex grain pattern and it works fine, but sometimes a pickguard just doesn't seem right on certain pieces of wood.

This is almost exactly the guitar I am looking to build, with the exception of wanting a ebony on wenge neck, but Zircote is a possibility as well.
I am looking for something that sounds like a Fender American Tele (maple neck, swamp ash body) but just a bit darker.
Do you find that is the sound you get, or is it something completely different?

Ooooo that is one smooth Tele! Absolutely lovely!

Good thing you didn't go for a pickguard - especially not tortoiseshell, that stuff is an absolute abomination and has completely ruined several guitars on this forum for me. But hey, they were not built for me!

Again, I love this guitar. Congratulations on your build! Now, how does it sound?

/Karl

Hey, my guitar's been bumped!  Sweet!

I can't explain how great this guitar sounds.  It has a super-bright vintage tone.  It's the most Telecaster-ey of any Tele I've ever played (if that makes any sense).  The fingerboard already looks vintage, thanks to my sweaty fingers on the unfinished Ziricote. 
I now sort of feel bad that my Les Paul and my Strat spend a lot more time in their cases...

Back